Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"there is a worldwide revolution going on" (c) Malcolm
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13009668&mesg_id=13011949
13011949, "there is a worldwide revolution going on" (c) Malcolm
Posted by philpot, Tue Apr-26-16 09:18 PM
as I said in this post I think "black lives matter" is a good slogan for the specific movement, I agree that it's imperative to make it clear that this specific movement is about affirming the essential value of the lives of a specific people who have been & still are widely oppressed

BUT I think that simply focusing on this one movement for anyone who cares about advancing humanity dooms the movement to failure

The movement will only succeed if it is part of a larger global struggle against oppression wherever it is

and I felt like MIAs point was that you have folks who are proud to support this movement or sloganeer for this movement because it's "hot" who are willfully ignoring the bigger picture of worldwide (and even American) oppression

I think it is hypocritical to say "black lives matter" but remain silent when it comes to our military killing multiple civilians for every "target" and, frankly, to remain silent because addressing the issue will make Obama "look bad" ...it reminds me of how many Black leaders warned King about taking an anti-war stance re: Vietnam...he couldn't, he had integrity & he openly said we were destroying Vietnamese lives and that the war was "abominable, Evil, unjust"

I think it's hypocritical to say "black lives matter" because it's trending and popular but to not (separately) address poverty & the essential inequality that results from how our society has structured compensation and ownership

Even Johnetta has "poverty is violence" as her Twitter header & poverty is much bigger than Black America or even America, obviously

All that to say "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"