Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI need to get it together
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13005940&mesg_id=13021561
13021561, I need to get it together
Posted by MeshaMeesh, Sat May-14-16 10:45 AM
For those that don't know, I came into college as a Music Industry major. I'm now Music Studies because I HATE this major and the Music Studies option required fewer music classes (from different areas of study, such as technology, business, theory, and random stuff).

I am NOT a musician by far. I don't play anything, I can't sing, and after 3 years of theory, I still don't know it.

I wanted to do Music because I had an interest in working with artists and becoming an A&R or having my own studio or label eventually. I lost that interest because it just seems like this field isn't a good match for my personality. Honestly, I'm very timid, introverted, and anxious and I really have bad vibes about this stuff.

So that's the story about my dilemma. So here's something new:

I'm planning on minoring in Human Rights & Genocide Studies for my final (5th) year of college.

It's another story as to why I'm here another year but most of it is because I suffered a deep depression and developed sever anxiety last year, that caused a bunch of chaos and time off from school. I also have a bunch of health issues...

The minor will only require 4 more classes since I took one of the class requirements this semester. Boom - no big deal. Even if I wasn't going to do the minor, I still would've had to stay an extra year to finish my 3 gen eds, one music class req, and electives.

But nooowwwww.... going back to the whole "I hate my major" thing: I had a spark of interest in just adding a major, International Studies, so I can have a double major of Music & International Studies and the minor in Human Rights & Genocide.

I find ALL of the courses under International Studies very interesting. And I see it could tie in with the Peace & Conflict Studies Master's program for Grad school.

But, I just don't know if it will be worth it to do the double major. I'd have to stay an additional year, maybe longer, just to graduate. I'd be a 6 year senior (with summer and winter courses included).

Do y'all think it's worth it? Should I add the International Studies minor? Would it help me in the grad school process since I know exactly what I want to study there? I have NONE of the background or experience that Peace & Conflict would require. I'm a Music major who hated all her classes and can barely remember what courses I took. I learned more about myself than what I "learned" in class.

And of course, having a job that can help prepare me for the grad program can be a major help. I've applied to internships at NPO's involving Human Rights and International stuff, but of course, I haven't heard back...

Do you think, if I can get a job in that field, I don't have to do the double major in International studies?

I'm sorry for all of these questions... I'm getting flustered again and I'm really stuck. I'll talk to my advisor and the convenor of the International Studies program in a few weeks, but I really like taking in the advice/experiences of others just to weigh my options.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,
I don't have time to be a wife"

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."