Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone ever hiked Half Dome in Yosemite?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12976795
12976795, Anyone ever hiked Half Dome in Yosemite?
Posted by handle, Sat Feb-20-16 09:11 PM
I'm thinking of going on a hiking trip that includes hiking to Half Dome.

I've never hiked with a heavy pack (always 20 pounds or under) and I'm not sure of the difficulty level.

Who's gone? How was it?
12976806, it's a tough climb, you can totally do it if you're in halfway ok shape
Posted by dba_BAD, Sat Feb-20-16 10:05 PM
but it will take a long time, and be difficult

imo there are other amazing hikes in yosemite that aren't crazy like that one, i would likely choose another
12976820, RE: Anyone ever hiked Half Dome in Yosemite?
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Feb-20-16 11:10 PM
Are you hiking to it, or up it?

When I went, I camped out for the night, got up early, and made my way to the beginning of half dome. I didn't have anything to secure me to the rope, and just didn't feel comfortable going up without an attachment. If you're planning on climbing to the top of Half Dome, I would suggest camping first. You should bring gloves. The campground is not too far from the beginning of Half Dome, and you'll be far more fresh. A man lost his life a few years ago, so it's not a hike to take lightly. DO NOT climb Half Dome if there are any clouds forming, or even a remote chance of rain or strong wind.

As was mentioned, there are other strenuous hikes that are also far safer and provide just as amazing views, and some non strenuous hikes as well. I suggest Upper Yosemite Falls, but if you're just going to the beginning of Half Dome, and not up it, then that might be doable in a day, though you'll be fucking wasted on the way back. With a heavy pack. Its not easy. At all.
12976823, Going with a REI group
Posted by handle, Sat Feb-20-16 11:24 PM
http://www.rei.com/adventures/trips/weekend/yosemite-half-dome-backpacking.html#tabBarAnchor

It's 2 or 3 days hiking to it, so I think it might be doable.

Itinerary Summary
Day 1 - Welcome to Yosemite with a trip orientation and dinner in camp.
Day 2 - Head out on the trail and into Yosemite's beautiful backcountry.
Day 3 - Summit day, or camp on the shoulder of Half Dome.
Day 4 - Summit day, or see vistas on our hike out of the Yosemite Valley.

I'm in great shape - other than weighing 290 and being old.

You live in San Diego, right? I hike about 75 miles a month now - mainly at Lake Poway ("Potato Chip" rock) and I do El Cajon Mountain ("El Capitan") a few times a year. Mix in Mission Trails and Torrey Pines and I'm hiking at least a couple of hours a day 0 3 to 4 times a week.
12976825, Im in LA
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Feb-20-16 11:47 PM
after hearing more details, you'll be fine. Thats the right way of doing Half Dome.
12977043, multiple times
Posted by sfMatt, Mon Feb-22-16 04:47 AM
It's the most fun when the mist trail is soaked. Makes the rest at the top of nevada falls more rewarding too.

And no matter how many times I've done the cables they always fuck me up when I first see them lol. They can certainly be nerve-wracking as shit when crowded...

Anyhow it sounds like you're in decent shape so it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you're hydrating and snacking sensibly.

I never had what I would call a "heavy" pack, though.

and I've always done it as a "day" hike starting early in the morning (4 or 5) and being back down mid afternoon.