Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: This is false and of course I understand...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12972738&mesg_id=12973003
12973003, RE: This is false and of course I understand...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Feb-12-16 07:34 PM
>>dawg... Apple forces obsolescence on their products and has
>>done so for years. A perfectly good computer, phone, or
>>whatever simply won't get OS upgrades in order to force you
>to
>>buy the latest piece of hardware. This has been their MO for
>>the longest and will continue to be the case as long as
>Apple
>>consumers continue to blithely empty their pockets whenever
>>they release even the stupidest gadget or make idiotic
>changes
>>to their hardware.
>
>This is false. The iphone 3GS received an update to ios 7 but
>your larger point is false as well.

Remember in my OP how I mentioned I was a long time mac user? Why do you think I sold all my macs? I had been burned by JobsCo one time too many. The first time was ok, So I couldn't upgrade the Quadra 840AV past System 8. IT was an old 040 based processor and we were on PPC. Fair enough. But...

My 7100AV was stopped at OS9.1
My 7600 was also capped at 9.1
Technically, my 9600 capped at 9.1 as well but I used an application to get 9.2.2 up and running.
My Powerbook 1400c also capped at 9.1

I eventually installed a Sonnet G3 card in my 9600 which gave me native support for OS9.2.2. OSX was released and, of course, older pc's with G3 cards weren't supported without hacks.

Fine. I copped a Beige G3... And Apple promptly dropped support for it within two or three years. Not that it matters 'cause OSX didn't support the floppy drive or 3D accelerated video, both of which I used under 9.2.2, so my OSX experience up to that point was shitty.

I copped a blue and white G3... and Apple promptly discontinued support for those with Leopard.

Whatever, I copped a Quicksilver G4... And it dawned on me: All that time I was fuckin with Macs I barely changed my PC's, I was running the same P3's and P4's I had copped as far back as '99. I just installed the latest OS and was done with it. I wasn't using My mac like I used to and it was getting long in the tooth. Instead of copping a G5, I simply got rid of it and the last few Macs I had left went with it.

Meanwhile, I was able to upgrade damned near every PC I owned from Win98 through Win2000 and, depending on the PC, as far as Vista and Win7 (i.e. My new in 2000 Dell Optiplex GX200 with a P3-933 and 1GB RAM can run Windows7 without a hiccup and my Prescott P4's and Pentium D machine are all good up through Windows 10).

>It's obvious that as new iphones release with advanced
>software features that older devices are incapable of running
>due to hardware issues. A common example is iphone 4s
>performance decreasing on ios 9. My OG intel iMac received
>software updates well after that production run ended for the
>length of seven years.

My old LG Optimus T shipped with Froyo (android 2.3). I downloaded and installed Jellybean on it. One of the best things about an open source OS is that you have the ability to port newer versions to older hardware. The Optimus T has an ARM6 processor. ICS and up require an ARM7 processor, yet it can be recompiled for the ARM6. This was done and made available to anyone that wanted to run it on their old phone... And it was butter smooth, far faster and smoother than Froyo.

>>Maybe you don't understand. I'll explain this in simpler
>>terms:
>>
>>This issue shouldn't exist in a "modern OS". This is a
>>fundamental part of the underlying architecture that iOS is
>>based on and, as such, should never exist as something that
>>can render your phone completely unusable.
>
>As advanced features roll out requiring better hardware
>performance on the newest silicon it's obvious older devices
>would struggle to deal with this. This problem should exist
>but it's in the process of being patched so meh. Performance
>should decrease.

You still don't get it: This is a basic building block of Unix, which IOS is based on. This isn't some "advanced feature", this has been around since Unix was first released in the 70's.

>
>Let's not confuse this with Motorola refusing to support the
>Moto E with an update to Android M despite releasing it in the
>second quarter of Q2 2015.

Agreed, let's not confuse this, 'cause it ain't even remotely comparable.