Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectFigured I'd do y'all OkayiPhone users a solid...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12972738&mesg_id=12972738
12972738, Figured I'd do y'all OkayiPhone users a solid...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Fri Feb-12-16 01:26 PM
Being honest, I pretty much despise Apple and I say this as a former Mac owner (Quadra 840AV, PowerMac 7100AV, 7600/200, 9600/300, blue/white G3, quicksilver G4). What I can't stand more than Apple itself are Apple Stan's and I know a number of y'all fall into that category.

When I first saw these images on a couple of other boards I frequent, my first reaction was "aw fuck, here goes some more useless shit that iPhone idiots are gonna brag about" (DO NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS IN THE PIC YOU FUCKIN IDIOTS!!! I'm WARNING YOU about some shit, so pay attantion!)

http://i68.tinypic.com/11brpl5.jpg

Then it hit me... That date is familiar... It's the Unix Epoch. The beginning of time in the world of Unix is Jan 1, 1970. All time on every version of Unix or Unix-like operating systems (Linux, which Android is based on) is calculated in number of seconds since the epoch. iOS is based on a stripped down BSD Unix just like OSX. At boot up, the OS does little mathematical stuff for various system settings, some of which includes division... And you just set time to 0.

Surely even the most dim of you iPhone users can see where the problem is, right?

For those that can't figure this out (prolly all of you iPhone owners): By setting the phone to that specific date, you have set the counter to 0. The moment the OS processes anything time related with division in it you divide by 0 and unless iOS is designed to trap a function that results in a "divide by zero", it can crash the OS.

well... That's exactly what's been happening. Setting your date to Jan 1, 1970 in the hopes of some retro Apple shit on your phone will brick it... permanently.

Part of me wanted to post up the image to see how many of y'all would fall for it and brick your phones; that would have been fun. But I'm trying to reform myself... this Buddhist practice of mine must really be working to change me 'cause I would have delighted in watching iPhone owners drop off because of it.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.