Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: im more of a fiction lover than a non fiction one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12888651&mesg_id=12889840
12889840, RE: im more of a fiction lover than a non fiction one
Posted by PG, Mon Aug-31-15 02:42 PM
I liked Smoke Signals.. saw it ages ago and have forgotten most of it but I remember wishing there were more like it...

I think you've mentioned that zombie Robert Johnson book before and I've yet to remember to get my hands on it.. maybe this time..

I might look for that Almanac of the Dead too...

so 57 years between the Trail of Tears and the Dawes Act... hmmm...armed resistance ends around 1900, 70 years after the Trail of Tears and 13 years after the Dawes act.. 100(+3) years after the Dawes Act there's the Standoff at Oka.. 15 years before that was the Pine ridge Shootout and 2 years before that was the Wounded Knee standoff.... 100 years before the Dawes Act and about 40 years before the Trail of Tears it was the "Northwest Ordinance" which after the "Northwest Indian War" resulted in the Shawnee ceding most of Ohio.. 100 years before the Trail of Tears is roughly when horses, metal and guns showed up on the northern plains.... smh.. this all seems incredibly fast to me...

I'm still pretty connected to my memories of say 25 years ago.. 4 times that and we're at 100 years... 4 times is not much.... Grandpa's Grandpa was in the thick of it time wise... I'm almost old enough for Grandpa status myself by now too.....

these are old news and thoughts from me but it never ceases to amaze me how quickly the "present" becomes "history"