Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: then so be it, but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12879761&mesg_id=12881872
12881872, RE: then so be it, but...
Posted by Artemis, Mon Aug-17-15 08:14 PM
I love R&B but the problem with the genre is that it hasn't evolved since the late 1990s, early 2000s.

So most of the artists releasing albums sounds like something you sort of liked 15 to 20 years ago.

It's so stale and uninspired that it's often a real burden to listen to. Simple, repetitive verses and chorus progressions, blah, followed by labored, half-hearted 'bridges.' Barf. I often find myself stopping R&B albums at around the 3rd or 4th song, bored and exhausted, frustrated with the artist and wondering aloud who's liking this sh*t.

It's as if the artists, writers and producers sit around listening to nothing but throwback R&B radio stations and it's really a shame. Meanwhile, hip hop, pop and alternative artists are incorporating innovative R&B sounds into their work, parting out R&B like it's an old car destined for the junkyard.

I do love what Jazmine Sullivan did this year, Jhene Aiko's pushing the vibe-out sound, King, the Internet, James Faunterloy, Emily King, Bilal, James Davis and Frank Ocean have new approaches that are refreshing but 90% of R&B albums are if I'm to be honest...torture. And a lot of the torture is coming from established artists we know and love and the newbies you guys are talking about.

R&B as a whole needs to open up some windows and let some fresh air into the studios or else it's about to get Jurrasic Parked out of contemporary music.