Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthe point of the sex offender registry was to protect children
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12875043&mesg_id=12876480
12876480, the point of the sex offender registry was to protect children
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Aug-10-15 10:12 PM
In that respect it has completely and utterly failed.

It has not stopped anyone.
Teachers, both male and female, still fuck their students.
kids are still being kidnapped, raped, and killed
that creepy uncle/aunt is still fiddling with their nieces/nephews.

The shit is a failure. The only thing it has managed to do is destroy the lives of people that are on the registry where their crime has absolutely nothing to do with children.

>is because of the registry? That ppl know who they are and
>are more careful...that because the offender knows that
>everyone knows he's on the list, they fall back because they
>know if ANYTHING happens around them everyone will look at
>them? Could it possibly be that?

No, and there are enough studies out there to back that up. If the person was a true criminal sexual deviant, registration simply won't stop them.

>
>I can't see why anyone that's not a sex offender would be
>against the list.

yes, because that's always the case... right?

Maybe ask this chick: http://www.salon.com/2015/03/26/stop_the_sex_offender_registry_panic_a_lot_of_those_dots_on_the_map_would_never_hurt_your_kids/

and, believe it or not, there's a fairly large movement dedicated towards either significant changes

>I do agree that it needs to be amended and
>that people's names should come off the list after a certain
>period of time depending on the actions. But to completely get
>rid of it is a bit much...

I'm against it because I predicted at it's inception that it wouldn't work because it doesn't take into account the fact that most child molesters are acquaintances and when stories started popping up (almost immediately) about 18 year olds going to prison and facing lifetime registration because he had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend I knew the shit was dead wrong. Here we are over two decades later and the shit hasn't changed... in fact it's likely worse.

In that way it's like the failed "war on drugs"; a knee-jerk reaction to an issue that failed miserably in all aspects.

It's time to do something different.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.