Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMechanic Damage my Car
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12866395
12866395, Mechanic Damage my Car
Posted by TR808, Wed Jul-29-15 11:29 AM
So I take my 2010 Chrysler 300 to a mechanic due to overheating issues

after paying 91 dollars to him he states the coolant valve was loose.so he tightened it and says the car is fine...

I picked the car up and drove it and it overheated again same day I picked it up.

I take it back and this time they road tested the car and damaged the transmission!!!!! now i need a new transmission (1600!!!) he says they wont pay for it because he thinks it had transmission issues before I brought it in...

Im thinking about taking him to small claims court. what are yall thoughts on it?
12866417, sue his ass
Posted by SooperEgo, Wed Jul-29-15 11:45 AM
12866425, what did you pay him $91 for in the 1st place?
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jul-29-15 11:48 AM
12866447, this entire story seems a bit strange...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Jul-29-15 11:56 AM
..if i'm reading this correctly:

- he paid for a diagnostic
- they found a coolant valve issue & repaired it
- picked up the car but its still overheating
- returned to the mechanic for further testing, only to be told that its a more serious issue (transmission)

it appears that they did a piss poor job on the initial diagnostic, but i'm still not sure why he thinks they damaged his transmission?

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
12866562, Because I paid 91 for a diagnostic fee
Posted by TR808, Wed Jul-29-15 12:59 PM
they claim it was a loose coolant valve leaking coolant they tightened it and filled it with coolant and said theycar was ready.

I paid and left after driving on the highway the car overheated again and I brought it back to the same shop.

They again called me and said they pressure tested it but the car is not overheating. But they were gonna drive it to check it.

The mechanic drove the car out on the highway and it overheated...

at this point he says he pulled over and shut the car off.

so they left it in a parking lot and when I went to get my key they told me it was in a parking lot down the street. when I jump in the car to turn it on the car starts and runs but I could not put it in gear. When I looked under the car there was transmission fluid all over the ground.
12866569, i'm still stuck on the $91. They made you pay first, then they told you
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jul-29-15 01:02 PM
what was wrong???
12866574, man, there is ALL manner of fuckedupness going on here....
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 01:05 PM
I just...I can't begin to name it all.
12866459, So, in what sense do you think they damaged the transmission?
Posted by stravinskian, Wed Jul-29-15 12:02 PM

Like they just loosened some bolts before the test drive, for fun? Or just to try to screw you into buying a new transmission?

I don't see how you're gonna argue in court that the transmission was their fault.
12866567, do you have an actual printed receipt of what was done...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 01:01 PM
cuz I'm struggling to understand what a leaking coolant valve is, exactly.
12866578, Here's your problem:
Posted by flipnile, Wed Jul-29-15 01:07 PM
>Chrysler
12866603, lol smh
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jul-29-15 01:21 PM
12866780, truth.com
Posted by Wonderl33t, Wed Jul-29-15 03:09 PM
My lady got a new Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple years ago. I told her good for you, but no dollar of mine will ever go toward a Chrysler product. 2 years later, that SOB is on its third transmission, lolol. The clownage has been endless
Posted by Binladen, Wed Jul-29-15 03:48 PM
12867059, Yep
Posted by Roadblock, Wed Jul-29-15 08:34 PM
12866597, ummm...i know u mad an all but errr uhhh...doesn't seem likely
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-29-15 01:16 PM
12866610, nah, life damaged your car
Posted by MiracleRic, Wed Jul-29-15 01:28 PM
they drove it...

they did something all mechanics do to figure out what the issue is...

it's not like they were under the hood when it happened...they were driving it and seeing as how that's what cars do...it's just a coincidence it happened while they were driving it...

might even explain the overheating to boot

unfortunate but they don't seem to be at fault based on the details so far
12866653, Glad you said that
Posted by TR808, Wed Jul-29-15 02:03 PM
>they drove it...
>
>they did something all mechanics do to figure out what the
>issue is..

Im not a mechanic If i bring you my car and tell you its overheating you should tell me WHY

I got a reciept that says they checked everything on the car with check marks and signed by the mechanic.
>
>it's not like they were under the hood when it happened...they
>were driving it and seeing as how that's what cars do...it's
>just a coincidence it happened while they were driving it...
>
I drove the car when they gave it back to me and I had no transmission issues... never had any... that same day they did an oil change... ne

>might even explain the overheating to boot

so now im getting all kinds of explainations that could have prevented me from having to get a new transmission...

AGAIN how can you tell me what happened

im not gonna re type it its up there... but
i take my car in.. NO transmission issues...My car is in their care and now my transmission is gone...
>unfortunate but they don't seem to be at fault based on the
>details so far

12866660, so, they did an oil change, too?
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 02:06 PM
What are they saying now as far as what the issue actually is? What's the conversation?
12866781, the narrative continues to change... lol
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Jul-29-15 03:10 PM
..don't get me wrong, i've seen my fair share of crooked mechanics, but its strange how there's now the inclusion of an oil change?

*KanyeShrug*

12866785, lol...I want to put this together , mechanically, SO bad...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 03:13 PM
but I need ALL the info.
12866670, This one time, in band camp, I went to change my oil...but...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Jul-29-15 02:09 PM
the plug I unscrewed was actually NOT the oil plug...it was the transmission fluid drain plug....

Luckily I knew the difference in the color...or else....

SO yeah, I think it's VERY plausible that a mechanic could make the same mistake....and instead of owning up to it....just act like it didn't happen. If the Chrysler 200 is anything like my old 2002 A4, you can't just put the plug on and top the trans fluid off....it's a pretty involved refilling process that has to be done with an appropriate pressuring valve or something...I still don't understand the mechanics of it...I just know it required a trip to the proper shop that had the proper equipment to perform the job.....

so yeah...I don't know if you got a case...but you do have valid reason for suspicion IMO..

"Get ready..for your blessing..."
12866688, the plot thickens...
Posted by ndibs, Wed Jul-29-15 02:17 PM
12866682, You Could Take Them To Court
Posted by RexLongfellow, Wed Jul-29-15 02:15 PM
And probably win.

Only because if it's printed on the receipt the work that was done and the original problem (my mechanic puts in writing CAME IN FOR XYZ - DIAGNOSTIC PRICE - PARTS - LABOR...spells everything out).

If they said the car was OK and misdiagnosed the problem, that's on them. You paid them for a professional opinion/solution and they fucked up.

But if it's not on the receipt, you might be eff'd in the A
12866689, Take it to another shop. They don't know what they're doing?
Posted by unfukwitable, Wed Jul-29-15 02:17 PM

======================================
http://www.zuitomedia.com/
12866835, All the overheating probably caused the damage to the transmission.
Posted by Binladen, Wed Jul-29-15 03:52 PM
12866837, right? the car's whole system is pressurized and likely the tightening of
Posted by Fishgrease, Wed Jul-29-15 03:55 PM
the initial valve blew a few seals here and there----there being a transmission seal.
12866849, doesn't sound like it, IMO...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 04:08 PM
I'd really like to know what this "coolant valve" is, though.
12866852, lol...i was just gonna recommend dude check his trans fluid...
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-29-15 04:09 PM
if he see's the flakes then _____

but yeah...coolant valve is funny
12866854, dude said they tightened a coolant valve...I been pondering that all afternoon
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 04:10 PM
12866975, its fairly obvious he doesn't really know auto parts (understandable)...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Jul-29-15 06:19 PM
..but the coolant valve?

is it possible the coolant hose was loose enough to allow air to seep into the overflow?

not sure if that's what they were referring to in the initial assessment after the first diagnostic.

12866978, well, whatever it was...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-29-15 06:24 PM
the assertion was that it was leaking and therefore the car overheated due to being low on coolant. So, why did it overheat when homey picked it up and took it home? That's the next thing I'm trying to understand...but then the oil change happened...shit is like them R Kelly in the closet videos...more info keeps coming out.
12866995, MoPar or No Car!
Posted by josetheplumber, Wed Jul-29-15 06:50 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chrysler+300m+coolant+bleeder+valve