Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI wished the article expanded on this part:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12842022&mesg_id=12842430
12842430, I wished the article expanded on this part:
Posted by denny, Tue Jun-30-15 01:21 PM
cause it's interesting:

"As Matt Yglesias wrote in January, the term "identity politics" is generally used to refer to feminist or anti-racist critiques, but that assumes that traditionally marginalized groups are the only people with an "identity."

The implication of this usage," Yglesias wrote, "is that somehow an identity is something only women or African Americans or perhaps LGBT people have. White men just have ideas about politics that spring from a realm of pure reason, with concerns that are by definition universal."

That's the real counter to the argument being made about identity politics. And I think it's valid in some cases. Hemingway and Shakespeare are 'universal'......queer theory is not. A gay person devoting 2 years to a thesis concerning a particular corner of gender theory is seen as isolating themselves in identity politic dogma. Whereas a straight male writing about Hemingway is taking part in the great tradition of literature.

I find identity politics problematic in the current academic climate....but I do concede this point. My response though....is that NOONE should isolate themselves. The tea party is guilty of identity politics too. I would make that argument more often if I cared about the tea party....but I don't. I do, however, care about the state of the left. And what I see is a form of tribalism arising from identity politics. Don't talk about rape if you haven't been raped. Don't talk about racism if you are not a minority. Don't come to our diversity group if you are a white male. And this is being done amongst like-minded people.