Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm about 25 years in
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12834791&mesg_id=12834956
12834956, I'm about 25 years in
Posted by Shimmy, Fri Jun-19-15 12:55 PM
working with folks with mental illness.

Most people who create a network of delusions will choose hot button issues from the world around them. Unless we somehow were able to wipe the slate clean of all contentious issues I do not see that changing.

Their capacity to contain their reactions and understanding of those issues is what is impacted by the illness.

And I think its important not to simply brush that under the carpet in order to make your point.

I see--without knowing 100% of this kid's situation-- that he is clearly a racist and this crime was racially motivated.

I would not be surprised to learn he has a mental illness. And I know that our current ideological approach to providing mental health services has left significant gaps for people who should probably be hospitalized.

I am concerned that someone like him has access to weapons.

And I am also concerned that our society seems to be creating an audience for crimes of this nature.

Why do we need to funnel our understanding of events into some digestable meme? The media does it--social media needs a dominant hashtag? That is the problem to me. The reasons are not simplistic, as are the potential solutions.