Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subject"Friday" is officially 20 years old.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12791240
12791240, "Friday" is officially 20 years old.
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-27-15 11:05 AM
Oral History of Friday: http://www.complex.com/covers/oral-history-of-friday-20th-anniversary/

They had a special showing of it last Monday...it was at four theatees in L.A., and Cube showed up at the Universal Studios one. We saw it in Culver City...it was amazing LOL. People said all the main lines, and when Craig's dad gave the speech about fighting instead of using guns, somebody yelled out "MESSAGE!" And of course people were Crip Walking at the end when "Keep their heads ringing" and "Friday" the song played.

I also found it funny that there was about 12 White college kids who came to see it together...and it was solely because of the "Bye Felisha" line...they laughed harder at that than anything else.
12791553, Although the Friday sequels were acceptable
Posted by Overqualified, Mon Apr-27-15 01:37 PM
they fell short in that they involved more slapstick and over the top shit than the original. What made the first Friday great was the pacing and the fact they never really left their block. It was some shit that could happen to you if you were at the crib with your boy for the day. Plus, Cube is a much better straight man than trying to carry much comedic load.
12791564, To me, it was impossible to live up to the first. BUT...Friday after next
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-27-15 01:40 PM
was still extremely hilarious, and what's wild is I only saw it (at the time) because my mom bought it for me on DVD!

I saw Next Friday, and it was still funny, even if not epic. But I had no desire to see the 3rd one...and when I popped it in, I was in shock. The characters on there were over the top, but still funny as shit. They all did great jobs on there, and I'd still give it a good 8.5/10 for a Black comedy. I'd give Next Friday a 7, 7.5/10. Original is 11/10.
12791611, I hated Next Friday. Loved Friday after Next
Posted by Lach, Mon Apr-27-15 01:58 PM
Next Friday seemed to try too hard for the laughs that weren't there in a lot of moments. Pinky saved that movie for me. lol
12791631, Mike Epps was still funny in Next Friday though
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-27-15 02:04 PM
"Do somethin strange for a piece of change" "She know when all the new snacks come out" "She said she gon suck my dick from the back!"

12791730, Yeah he had his moments but the Joker brothers and whatnot
Posted by Lach, Mon Apr-27-15 02:34 PM
just didn't amount to a lot of laughs. Like Big Worm had little gems in the original as did Deebo. Damon had some good moments in Friday After Next. But the Joker brothers weren't good villains and Deebo was silly this time. I think that's what got me the most.
12791559, got damn i'm old...i remember my whole class goin to see it
Posted by ambient1, Mon Apr-27-15 01:39 PM
the day it came out

we had a half day in school and erybody hit the theater
12791586, Damn! What's wild is I didn't see it til a year or two later
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Apr-27-15 01:47 PM
but I couldn't enjoy it as much that first time because EVERYBODY used to say all the lines, so it didn't have that shock-laughter effect like I wanted it to
12791605, My favorite comedy of all time.
Posted by Brew, Mon Apr-27-15 01:55 PM
Possibly my favorite movie in general but I'd have to give that more thought.

The sequels weren't shit because (a) I hate sequels as a general rule and (b) like you guys already said, the lack of slapstick stuff was a big part of why the original was so great. It relied on a good narrative and quality acting rather than just punchline BS.

But yea - Friday is that flick man. I must've seen that shit no joke over 500x. I used to watch it multiple times per week in middle school and early high school. Never miss it when it's on TV.
12792241, I've never seen it
Posted by Seven, Mon Apr-27-15 09:34 PM
.. I need to one of these days
12792245, Megan Good was a little kid in line at Big Worm's ice cream truck
Posted by BigJazz, Mon Apr-27-15 09:38 PM

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12792388, "man i HATE him"
Posted by wluv, Tue Apr-28-15 07:25 AM
12792327, the first one was the best
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Tue Apr-28-15 02:32 AM
the other ones were about on the lines of direct to video.

always dug the first one
12792391, Red was the perfect complement to Smokey and Craig
Posted by wluv, Tue Apr-28-15 07:30 AM
12792449, Man, Me and Mom went to go see this in theaters when it came out
Posted by Adwhizz, Tue Apr-28-15 08:43 AM
It's probably the hardest we've ever laughed together