Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCompared to 20-30 years ago, how much different are kids these days?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12788457&mesg_id=12788457
12788457, Compared to 20-30 years ago, how much different are kids these days?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Apr-23-15 11:11 AM
Speaking for like 5-11 year old kids...elementary school aged.

I don't have any, and not many of my close friends have them, although it's starting to happen now that I'm 30. I just got a Goddaughter, she's only seven months old.

How much different are they from how we (25-40 year olds) were at their age? Like...we woke up on certain days to watch cartoons early, but now they have a variety of channels that show cartoons all day. Or they can watch them on Blu Ray, or even DVR the shows they want to watch.

We had video games, and portable ones were fresh when we were young...but they can play games on pads, and even play their friends remotely if they're old enough.

Do they still not care about what they wear until they're closer to Middle School, or has that changed?

Do they understand sexuality and that people can be gay/straight? I always mention that I didn't know what gay was until 5th grade, and that I never thought it was a possible thing...I thought "Men on film" was just men making fun of women. But that was just me, a lot of other kids got it, and even used derogatory terms back then.

Do they really not play outside anymore, or is it based on the neighborhood?

How much different is the curriculum in school?

How do race relations seem to be? Growing up in L.A...we ALWAYS had that whole "everyone is a equal, no colorlines" thing going on, yet OJ and Rodney King type situations would kill that notion every time we almost believed it. Does Trayvon/Mike Brown do the same for them?

I got even more questions, but these are just a few. Anyone with kids, nephews/nieces, godkids, etc can answer.