Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectnot true Fresh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12776673&mesg_id=12876536
12876536, not true Fresh
Posted by Errol Walton Barrow, Tue Aug-11-15 01:40 AM
if anything, all the horseshit McConnehey was saying in season one was quoted all over the internet, and only a few people said 'this is second year college existentialism' which by the way, is quite okay as police dialogue in my book.

If his writing was bad last season, no one called hi on it, because it isn't bad writing. The problem is that he attributed dreamy, philosophical themes to police officers. I think people excused that disconnect in tone because the show was presenting itself as fantasy fiction, the yellow king and the symbols and all that.

That type of dialogue doesn't work in season two which is presenting itself as a hard boiled detective noir. I mean the mythology here is that rich people have orgies, which is what poor people do if you run in the right circles, so ham-fisted, navel gazing monologues feel clunky here.

I think he' a good writer, h just needs direction. I mean can you imagine what he could do with the british child abuse scandal? His style would benefit that story, not some land-grab-deal-gone-wrong story.