Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI got a story to tell. I was given the boot by a stepparent.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12755254&mesg_id=12755390
12755390, I got a story to tell. I was given the boot by a stepparent.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Mar-18-15 12:54 PM
So if I have nieces (My wife's sisters kids) that I adore and have been in their life as long as they both can remember.

I love those girls and would do anything for them and have tried to be the supportive male figure in their life since there dad wasn't around. Because their dad wasn't around my wife and I often pitched in and kept them for days at a time, bought them stuff, took them on vacation and just generally been there for them. Heck they were even living with us part of the week last year because we live closer to their school than their parents.

Anyway eventually my sister n law started seeing a dude and they got serious very quickly. The family kind of resisted dude because he jumped into the dad roll real quick disciplining the girls and giving them chores and what not. We were appalled when the girls started calling him dad even before they were married.

Also wasn't a fan of how affectionate the girls were with him. I wouldn't do all that having them sitting on my lap and constant hugging with them because I didn't think it was appropriate so I was taken aback to see them that way with him.

So my attitude was to sit back and see if this dude blows it and their relationship falls apart. He may come or go but I would always be there uncle there for them.

That was 5 years ago. They've gotten married and while I don't necessarily approve of his parenting style all the time (West Indian Dude. SMH) dude is there doing the work and playing the role of dad. I'm glad he is doing it and he is ultimately having a positive impact on the girls.

All of this has mean that I have had to fall back alot and let that dude play the role of dad.

One of the girls wanted to take a family picture the other day and she left the step dad out for some reason but she also left me out and I felt some kind of way :(

What was the point of this story? IDK.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r