Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecton: quitting a perfectly good job for no reason other than
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12741203
12741203, on: quitting a perfectly good job for no reason other than
Posted by dba_BAD, Tue Mar-03-15 05:25 PM
you've been doing it many years and you wanna do something else

and i mean full on escape chute quitting, no other job in the wings, no substantial savings

how does that strike you?

my everyman wisdom tells me never to quit a job without having something else lined up, yet I find myself in a situation where I've done just that, for the first time in my life. I have mixed feelings about it

I mean, it was the right thing to do. In many important ways, it kinda had to be done. The timing, my hand, was forced a little bit. But I've needed to move on for some time now. But yeah, the whole no set plan thing. That's tough for me to stomach. I'm going a little crazy over it.
12741206, nothing like having no ledge to push one to greater glory
Posted by rdhull, Tue Mar-03-15 05:30 PM
12741208, ^^^
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Mar-03-15 05:31 PM
12741207, Got wife and kids? If not, do what you like.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Mar-03-15 05:30 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r
12741215, nah altho i do have an aging parent im needing to support
Posted by dba_BAD, Tue Mar-03-15 05:36 PM
but yeah maneuvering toward more income directly informed my decision to leave, only so much i can make here, even at the top
12741209, it's not uncommon in our line of work
Posted by teefiveten, Tue Mar-03-15 05:31 PM
you'll be fine
12741232, hook me up w a job T! my resume is bangin
Posted by dba_BAD, Tue Mar-03-15 05:48 PM
n/m
12741211, i'd rather get fired. but i understand.
Posted by MrThomas43423, Tue Mar-03-15 05:31 PM

---------------------------------------
it's true what they say...people are strange, when you're strangers.

not compassionate....only polite.

I am not like you at all and i cannot pretend.
12741375, i'd be looking forward to severance pay.
Posted by Deadzombie, Tue Mar-03-15 08:42 PM
12741219, if your pillow is fat, do it.
Posted by double negative, Tue Mar-03-15 05:41 PM
12741369, this was me last year
Posted by monifah, Tue Mar-03-15 08:36 PM
Felt like I needed to do something drastic in order to get results, gave myself a date to be out and everything. Sadly I chickened out.
12741388, It's gotta be nerve wracking, but ...
Posted by Brew, Tue Mar-03-15 09:10 PM
I think, judging by the little info you gave us, you probably made a sound decision. Additionally it sounds like you have enough sense in you to use your anxiety about it as motivation to find something better, and you'll end up back on your feet in no time. Granted I have no idea what kind of career you're in...I'm just judging by the fact that it sounds like you have the proper positive attitude about it, despite some (natural, understandable) anxiety.

I found myself stuck in a job I hated for many years but never quit just because I was afraid of all the things you speak of...not having a back up plan, draining my savings, etc. I finally found a job worth leaving that other one for but I still always wish I had done so sooner, because it would've motivated me to get out there and find something good that I'd actually like. In the end, it worked out fine, I really like my new job...but I suffered in misery about 4 years longer than I probably should have considering, you know, life is short, etc. Oh well. Live and learn.

Anyway - didn't mean to post jack I just remember being in that position and am happy to hear you looked past your fear and went for it, unlike I did. I wish you the best. I'm actually interested to know how it works out for you.
12741431, i came close to doing this a couple times...
Posted by gumz, Tue Mar-03-15 10:32 PM
i never pulled the trigger. now i'm not in a position to ever even think about that shit again. i wish i woulda had one dramatic/random quitting though. i supposed the time i walked out of that standardized test grading job after 45 mins will have to do.