Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHmm...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12733664&mesg_id=12733737
12733737, Hmm...
Posted by TheAlbionist, Mon Feb-23-15 11:31 AM

>I mentioned the Hubble Deep Field to counter your "greater
>distances will yield less visible light" argument.

Ok.

>Pointing
>the Hubble at a pitch black portion of space and witnessing
>thousands of galaxies seems to be a pretty strong argument
>towards the infinite shelf life of light. According to how you
>presented your argument, we should be unable to see anything
>in a pitch black portion of space, but we did.

The dimness and redness of the farthest stars seen in the Hubble Deep Field are actually perfect proofs of the Inverse Square Law and Hubble's Red Shift theory (for whom the telescope was named!), both of which we now know to be true and both of which describe why your idea doesn't work *into infinity*.

The Hubble Deep Field is my favourite photograph ever taken by humanity (in fact a super-high-res copy hangs on the wall of my office right at this very moment), but it does NOT have any relation to infinity. You simply don't understand infinity if you think the HDF and the Inverse Square Law don't prove light can't survive into infinity. You only have to look at the picture - the farthest stars are dimmer than the nearest ones.... therefore at *some* point before infinity they *must* start disappearing. It's just maths. Really, really easy maths.

Light *demonstrably* and *predictably* dims over distance. Exponentially. Every time you double the distance, you *quarter* the intensity of the light received. For a massively bright object like a star or galaxy this might be enough to still be detectable 13.8Bn light years away... but it will NEVER work into infinity. Anything that reduces over time or distance will be ZERO in infinity.

>
>If anything, humanity has shown that limits fail to contain
>us. Several hundred years ago we were unable to clearly see
>our neighboring planets and today we can look as far as 13
>billion years, do you really think humanity is going to stop
>reaching and striving for more?

No, of course not, but it's physically impossible for light to survive into infinity. However many microdots you've had this morning.