Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Even with certain limitations like closed spaces
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12733664&mesg_id=12733705
12733705, RE: Even with certain limitations like closed spaces
Posted by TheAlbionist, Mon Feb-23-15 11:05 AM
>The profundity of how light encodes reality is astounding.
>There are untold billions of light rays bouncing off you right
>now into every conceivable direction carrying your life and
>presence into the universe. You as a human being are radiating
>life that can be witnessed in any part of the universe, given
>that the light is able to reach that point unobstructed.

And assuming the distance isn't too great. Infinity simply doesn't work, especially when you're talking about a reflector (a person), not a source (a star). See post above.

>
>Even if the light that bounces off you is absorbed by the
>electrons in the walls, the walls themselves are recording
>your life. Everything is witness to your life here due to
>light.

Walls may react to my life (for instance my shadow or reflection may cause paint to fade unevenly if I stood in the same spot for a long time) but if you can't extract more than my shape, it's not *really* recording is it? The minimum requirement for "recording" a human is recreating their brain function - my brain is hidden behind my skull, so has no chance of being "recorded".

>
>We are alive for 80 to 100 years and we spend a considerable
>amount of time outside. Yes, not every moment can be recorded
>but an untold amount is.

Clouds. Reflective particles in the atmosphere. The Sun. All these things stand in the way of your reflected light being detected outside the Solar System. The likelyhood is all anyone would ever see from an intergalactic distance is the Sun. Maybe the Earth at a real push.

>
>Even beyond the red shift, the information is still there, and
>a couple of billion years of visible light is an impressive
>shelf life. More efficient than zip disks. ;)

It'd be great if it was as usable as a zip disk. It's not like any of this leads to there being a "backup" of me anywhere is it? Just an image? Even if my *image* survived into infinity, it doesn't help the actual me very much outside of extremely short-term narcissism, does it?