Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjecthow it can relate to content
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12702780&mesg_id=12703323
12703323, how it can relate to content
Posted by imcvspl, Tue Jan-20-15 03:21 PM
>From 'should my child read the classics' to 'should my child
>consume the classics in whatever form is available'
>
>But I thought the question here was more so about the
>content.

Well I think the first question which is where I was trying to start with is what is the value that comes out of reading the classics and is it still relevant to today's youth. If we can separate the value from the classics themselves then we can ask are the classics the best means for disseminating said value in modern media? If the classics can facilitate that in a way that's meaningful to the user in the new media then absolutely. But if there are better means which can be better valued and retained by the user in the media should we force the classics to facilitate the continuation of tradition.

I'm still searching for these themes (values) that we're getting out of the classics though to be able to answer that qustion. But I think of how so much other media bids for kids attention, and how much of it they are engaged with it makes me wonder if there aren't other ways to ensure they are getting those themes and values.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."