Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: i'm unsure of the necessity why i'm asking
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12702780&mesg_id=12702878
12702878, RE: i'm unsure of the necessity why i'm asking
Posted by howisya, Tue Jan-20-15 10:25 AM
let's go back to the mona lisa then, and i'm just going to be general. the mona lisa may not be person A's ideal of beauty, person A may not want to go into painting even after (s)he sees it, and the mona lisa certainly isn't new, but it is a cultural touchstone that will come up again and again and it helps person A understand what other people consider great (and even the pinnacle of) art. to me, the same applies to classic literature and other widely embraced creative works across all media. beyond that, person A just might really enjoy it as millions of others have throughout history. some works of art are rightfully remembered.

i remember the books when i was a teenager that helped shape my worldview. your children aren't necessarily at that stage yet, but a love of reading should certainly be fostered. loving to read when i was younger helped me out in life and made the classics i had to read in later years enjoyable. most of them i think i read at about the right time, which is to say older than your children, but to prepare them for that time and the rest of their lives they should be reading quality literature that is appropriate for their age but challenging. a lot of the classics are both quality and challenging, but as parents you decide if it's appropriate or what the children might get out of it.

on a side note, there are so many classics i wish i *had* read when i was younger, and i still plan to read them.