Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDTRT is a tough one to call
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12697534&mesg_id=12697857
12697857, DTRT is a tough one to call
Posted by Atillah Moor, Tue Jan-13-15 08:03 PM
Becuase I'm in the "why didn't dude understand it's NOT HIS PIZZA PLACE!?" camp.

Anyway as far as Crash goes Hustle and Flows character was your typical "scared negro" which until recently has been a very ommon and often used trope alongside the one of the menacing negro. There's even a living color skit about it. There are writers who have been quoted saying the exact same thing in an attempt to explain the racism of movies, television, and comics of say-- the 40's thru the 80's.

Hustle and Flows character could have easily been written to take a bullet for his wife, the cop lies about it, and there still could be Dillon's white knight moment of glory. Saving Hustle and Flows widow from say the menacing negro they introduced.

My point being the character didn't have to be a coward, but they wanted to portray him that way.

I hate to make assumptions (true/not true) but I'm wondering if you may be the target demographic.