Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAffligem Blonde has sort of become our house beer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12695324&mesg_id=12696068
12696068, Affligem Blonde has sort of become our house beer
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Jan-12-15 11:58 AM
been keeping a case handy and drinking it pretty regularly.

Just scored two cases of the October '14 batch of Weyerbacher's Althea. Love it, that's enough that we should be able to drink it pretty regularly and still sit on a few bottles.

Still have about 2/3 a case of DFH 120" IPA, mixed from 2009, 2011, 2012 I think. THey came out rarely but when they do my wiife gets very excited.

Did a group buy recently. A lot of the stuff was fairly mediocre (our last one was all tripels, and it was just too expensive for a couple people who normally participate) but we had some good stuff in there too. There was Goose Island's Ogden, which is supposed to be a tripel but was pretty aggressively hopped... Tank 7 from Boulevard was really good. Old favorites like Goose Island Matilda and EKU 28 managed to make it in as well.

As far as cellared stuff, I think my stash has dwindled a bit outside of the 120"s. I should poke around a bit and see what we have. I mentioned the Gulden Draak Vintage above. Also have a few bottles of the 2010 holiday joint brew from Stone, Jolly Pumpkin and Nogne O. I don't love it though - it's got chestnuts in it and comes out kind of think. Defiinitely a unique beer.

Homebrewing, I haven't made as much time for this year. I got a half-hearted start on the year's garden series; my first batch of wood sorrel saison didn't turn out great. Just bottled up my first mead, and I think it's possible that I don't like mead... the sample I tasted at bottling was pretty nasty. I'm giving that stuff away anyhow as a client who has hives asked me to make it.

I'm more excited about my berry beer for this year. Last year I brewed three different ones - mulberry, raspberry and a saison with Cornelian cherries (which are an edible dogwood fruit, not a true cherry). They all turned out well. This year though I put all three berries into the same batch, soaked them for a month, and now I've got it about two months into aging with oak cubes. Not sure how long I'm going to let it sit...

Planning to brew one more garden series, a spicebush saison. Current plan is to cut a bunch of branches and make a spicebush tea, then use that as the base for the boil. (My first batch of wood sorrel beer this is what I did, and it turned out waaaay better than when I made the tea separately and added after the boil. So hopefully it'll work for the spicebush as well.) After that I want to take another shot at a maple syrup beer I've made in the past that was awesome. Then I need to get back to some lighter beers so I can get the kegerator fired back up this spring and summer...