Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectclosest i came to killing a guy at work:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12691978&mesg_id=12692077
12692077, closest i came to killing a guy at work:
Posted by veritas, Wed Jan-07-15 12:32 PM
i mean that literally, not like "oh i'm so irritated i want to kill you."

i had this summer job in college working at a different college doing some maintenance/demo/carpentry stuff. painting dorm rooms, replacing ceiling tiles, shit like that.

a common job was replacing doors in the dorms. Three of the dorms had staircases that were hard as fuck to navigate while carrying a full size door, so the dude in charge got the bright idea that we should throw the old doors out a window, have a team on the bottom move them to the dumpster, then struggle the new doors in.

the system was basically 3 or 4 teams of 2 people would remove the door, then carry it to the open window, wait on the dude in charge to say it was clear, then chuck a solid wood door out the window of a 5 story building.

it was awesome. if you never saw a solid wood door fly through the air then crash to the ground (and why would you?) it's really quite a sight.

at one point it's my turn to chuck a door out the window and dude in charge gives me the go ahead and i give it a mighty heave (you had to throw it kind of hard so it wouldn't fall back into the side of the building) and immediately see the two guys down below carrying doors to the dumpster are right below and carrying a door.

instinctively i try to grab for the door, but obviously that's not going to happen. we all start screaming and they drop the door they're carrying and try to run, but gravity is a motherfucker.

BAM.

luckily the door struck the ground first, on its edge, which probably absorbed like 99% of its force. It then rolled/folded over on to one of the guys working below and dropped him to the ground like he was a tiny child or something.

he didn't even get knocked out cold, and said he was fine, but they took him to the ER where he was diagnosed with a concussion.

i probably don't need to say it but after that we had to carry them heavy ass fuckin doors down the stairs instead of throwing them out the window.