Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyou ever go for broke and ask her for her friends number?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12680533
12680533, you ever go for broke and ask her for her friends number?
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:34 AM
first off, this is a tasteless post. i admit it.

short situation: went on a date and then was invited to a birthday party. she was lukewarm from the jump but her friend kept throwing it my way. normally i would have hit her friend off with one of my cards on some

"hit me up, in a totally professional manner so we can talk, um, business things"

but, I was being a gent and seeing how the evening would go. when I got to the end of the night I kicked myself for not being quick enough to size up the situation (striking out with first gal but then seizing a win with the next woman)

Have you ever in your natural life ever just said something like

"i know its not going to work between us, that said can I getcho friends number?"

?

This move from person to person only works in certain way and I'm not so sure it can work retroactively.

My head is a seinfeld episode.

12680541, Girl I used to "kick it" with in college hit me with an email the other day
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Dec-19-14 11:40 AM
saying.....
"After all these years, I just found out about you and my roomie"

that situation was similar to what you describe....
except I didn't ask...I just moved on to the next room in the house after our lil thing didn't pan out....
12680549, man. i used to be RUTHLESS
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:43 AM
personal best is going on a date with a gal i was currently kinda with and then getting the hostess' phone number on my way in to meet my date.

week later, yadda yadda yadda

being my 30s has made me TRY to be responsible and accountable for my actions......no fun.
12680562, somewhere around 30 you get afflicted with a conscience
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Dec-19-14 11:50 AM

12680567, MAKE IT STOP, its hurts.
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:52 AM
12680603, Speak for yourself.....
Posted by Kira, Fri Dec-19-14 12:18 PM
12680551, you really should just do the roundabout Facebook route...
Posted by bonitaapplebaum71481, Fri Dec-19-14 11:45 AM
find a pic that they're in together with the friend tagged and send a lil message along

you gotta be a lil sneaky with all this lol

"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on fire" -Bin

www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12680560, ^^^^^^
Posted by ndibs, Fri Dec-19-14 11:49 AM
>find a pic that they're in together with the friend tagged
>and send a lil message along
>
>you gotta be a lil sneaky with all this lol
>
>
>"i wanna hug all u idiotic bastards & then set you all on
>fire" -Bin
>
>www.twitter.com/bedstuybetty
>http://bedstuybetty.tumblr.com/
>DROkayplayer: Giving you good puff since May '05
12680563, i swear...y'all youngins got it SO.FUCKIN.EASY!!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Dec-19-14 11:51 AM
lol...

12680566, you and I are >< on this one.....problem is...
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:52 AM
i already tried this angle and I came up on goose eggs
12680553, If y'all was talking business, then you have your in...
Posted by CRichMonkey, Fri Dec-19-14 11:46 AM
You can easily parlay that conversation into, "Your friend was asking me about *business shit* and I didn't get a chance to get her info during the party. Could you shoot me her email so I can follow up on that *business shit* and get paid?"

Or, you can be blatant about it and just say "Yo, I'm feeling your friend. Not you though. Why don't you foment some happiness in the world and hook a nigga up?"

my avy: Deep in your heart, you know he's right: http://coreyrichardsonneedsajob.com/
my hustle: http://SupaSoulSounds.com

*RIP: John T. "220v" Richardson, Blessing Benson, and Dilla*
12680569, man, I was just thinking about that and LOL at the second response
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:53 AM
12680555, A chick stiff-armed my man and pushed up on me
Posted by Marbles, Fri Dec-19-14 11:47 AM

Back in the day, my boy (call him Chris) was into this girl (call her Sara). We met her crew and I tried to get with the friend. Got the number & we hung out a little but it wasn't really moving anywhere.

Sara was always nice to Chris but it was obvious that he wasn't getting anywhere at all. She was always nice to him but she stonewalled any advances he made.

Fast forward a month or 2 and Sara ends up as a freshman at the same school I'm at (I'm a sophomore at the time). I see her out here & there and we talk & crack jokes about back home. Harmless stuff.

Long story short, your girl makes a power move on me. I talked to Chris about it & he didn't care because he wasn't getting anywhere.

She & I dated for 2 & a half years.

12680572, damb
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 11:55 AM

>
> She & I dated for 2 & a half years.
>
>
12680576, yep, sorta did this too
Posted by Calico, Fri Dec-19-14 11:59 AM
..i met this chick through a chatline and me and my homeboy went over to her house to meet her, she was digging my homeboy more than me, and i wasn't mad cause i wasn't physically attracted to her...we ended up going over to her cousin's house and another one of our boys ended up going too...

...her cousin was giving me and the first homeboy play, but not the last guy...i really wasn't feeding into her energy though, and me and the first homie decided to call it a night after an hour or two...my last homeboy decides to stick around and we're just looking at him like "whatever my dude"....i KNOW he had to damn near beg his way into that booty...ole girl ended up pregnant and last i heard he has sole custody.... careful what you wish for...
12680585, A friend of mine showed me a photo of a messican girl he met
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-19-14 12:07 PM
I told him to hold her close because I would swoop in.

He didn't give a shit because back then we had a code. If she isn't your SO, she's fair game.

Messican girl comes around with a few friends and tells me she knows someone who would be perfect for me. I met the girl, she was cool but she was from Boston and a little hard around the edges. She had a Jeep tho.. LOL.

Messican girl tells me she no longer wants me to get with her friend because she liked my steez. We did what we did and that was that.

12680568, not really
Posted by Calico, Fri Dec-19-14 11:53 AM
i went to this eatery/ hang spot with my boys in college once and it was so packed we couldn't sit together, so i sat with this big table of people i didn't know...the woman on the far end of the table immediately caught my eye, but i couldn't get to her, so i ended up asking about her to this woman who was also fine and sitting beside me...she didn't know ole girl, but we struck up a nice lil convo that kinda went off and on all night...

my boys saw parts of this and were surprised i didn't get her #...i'm like "nah, i asked about her peoples first, so that's kinda outta line", even though after we talked i DID want the #....these fools convince me to ask and i do, but she states the same reasoning i gave for me not getting the #...i just laughed and we kept choppin it up...

i saw her like 2-4 more times in the next two months and everytime she was mad cool and super excited to see me, but i never asked for the # again

12680579, greed is a muthafucka ....
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Dec-19-14 12:02 PM

12680571, nah man, find another means. shit ain't that hoard (c) wax.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Fri Dec-19-14 11:54 AM
12680573, it's a fair and open market up until you sleep with one of'em.
Posted by Fishgrease, Fri Dec-19-14 11:58 AM
12680574, seems unnecessary. when you could probably get it otherways
Posted by Zion3Lion, Fri Dec-19-14 11:59 AM
12680577, but the other way ain't as fun.
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-19-14 12:01 PM
it would also be grimy to walk down the street and bump into his old date while on a new date.

but it wouldn't be grimy on his part.
12680575, you can try...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Dec-19-14 11:59 AM
and it may work.

but it could also make her turn from lukewarm to hot.

whats the worst that could happen?
12680595, you lost one...keep it movin. in my experience, you'll randomly end up
Posted by Ralo13, Fri Dec-19-14 12:14 PM
running into ol girl again...it never makes
sense but it happens

it wasnt no damn love at first site shit anyways, so
why make the chick you were on the date with
possibly feel some type of way (whether towards
you or her friend)?
12680617, nothin to lose.
Posted by now or never, Fri Dec-19-14 12:31 PM
I see why you aint do it
but you never wanna strike out twice when you can come up once
if she felt some type of way about you askin bout her friend and snapped
that woulda made her friend wanna fuck wit you even more
it is hella Seinfeld tho
"if I hear you correctly, and...I think that I do...
my advice to you is to finish you meal, pay your check, leave here and never mention this to anyone again."

-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.
12680619, how old are the women?
Posted by Deadzombie, Fri Dec-19-14 12:32 PM
12680698, Early 30s
Posted by double negative, Fri Dec-19-14 01:29 PM
12680672, only if i can't break free of the 1st girl. talking up her friend usually do
Posted by Cenario, Fri Dec-19-14 01:04 PM
the trick.
12680726, the day I realized I had to stop dating in Philly
Posted by atruhead, Fri Dec-19-14 01:48 PM
I ran into my ex at a club hanging with a girl who topped me off while were on a break 4 months prior, having had no prior knowledge they knew each other

I guess they were newly formed acquaintances bc I was with her for 2+ years on and off and never met the other one until we weren't together

and of course ol girl went and ran her mouth about it despite me telling her that was my ex who she had heard about before

but yeah dating amongst the same circles shouldnt happen post college
12680739, Somewhat similar but once my friend
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Dec-19-14 01:55 PM
was "talking" to this one guy that I had kinda liked before she came around. I just thought he was real cool and laid back. Anyway she's talking about him and I say "yeah he's cool and cute." she goes "oh did you like him?" and i'm like "nah, he's just cool..." she goes on like i don't like him

she calls him and puts him on speaker and is like "my friend steph thinks your cute and cool, and i know things aren't like that between us..." and he goes "oh yeah she's cute, i wanted to ask you what was up with her but thought it was rude."

he and i ended up dating on and off for 5 years.