Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think the problem is that he doesn't get America
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12668676&mesg_id=12896531
12896531, I think the problem is that he doesn't get America
Posted by BigReg, Tue Sep-15-15 03:36 PM
or the subtleties involved.

Not to say an outsider cannot get it; its why I think John Oliver does so well with his “WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?” version of the daily show that’s consistently great on HBO. But I agree with you on the smugness. The funny thing is I don’t think he comes with an angle that’s wrong per say: he’s not some sellout right winger who doesn’t believe in race or gender issues. But I remember hearing him talk about growing up in hardcore Aparthied and I think that’s why he Kanye shrugs some of the equality issues we want him to get a bit more forceful with.

To him, a few women comedians having a good year is ‘good enough’ and thus sweating them getting locked out of late night talk shows isn’t that big a deal...its not like the real shit he had to deal with. Like I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get redlining/prison industrial complex etc on some "When I grew up you would get arrested for being in a white neighborhood, at least you got a chance to here, why you whining now?"

However, I have a sneaking suspicion he’s gonna get it after awhile; Hollywood does a great job of giving people their 'lolz, don't get it twisted, you still black' reality check.

That said, the Nightly Show is coming into its own and it’s unfortunate Larry Wilmore didn’t get the Daily Show slot; he would have been perfect out the gate instead of having to totally rework the Cobert show while finding his footing.