Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectit's plausible
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12340897&mesg_id=12341086
12341086, it's plausible
Posted by howisya, Wed Feb-05-14 08:43 PM
>Frankly, I was surprised he admitted to this. I’ve since
>tested this almost every day for the last couple of weeks.
>During the day – the bandwidth is normal to AWS. However,
>after 4pm or so – things get slow.
>
>In my personal opinion, this is Verizon waging war against
>Netflix. Unfortunately, a lot of infrastructure is hosted on
>AWS. That means a lot of services are going to be impacted by
>this.

i first noticed this last month. i know i can get what netflix calls "1080 super HD," its highest encoding, but during evening hours i was hovering in the lowest 240, 288, and 384 SD qualities. there was no competition for bandwidth in my house. i chalked it up to high traffic for netflix because during off hours--after midnight weeknights, weekend mornings and early afternoons--it streams in HD like it used to easily until this year. i thought netflix just needed to expand its resources to handle their success (volume), but i wouldn't put it past verizon to do this. however...

>I'll just say a 'live chat' center rep isn't a reliable
>source, but hmmmmm...

i use live chat sometimes for customer service sometimes, and they can say some wacky things that probably aren't really true (i usually assume english isn't a first language). unfortunately, it's hard to tell in this case whether this was a true admission. so much is on AWS that this shouldn't stand now that the story is out there.