Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe overall OKP response is mostly disgusting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13283702&mesg_id=13283995
13283995, The overall OKP response is mostly disgusting
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Sep-05-18 06:32 AM
*dawns full cape*

Bruno Mars could make this *exact* song, and be praised for the "nostalgic" feeling and ability to capture it without any mentions of "auntie", "uncle" or it being so-called "40+ music."
But somebody who was actually making music 20 years ago and has blessed us by sharing their talent with us for 20+ years just gets trashed for making music for her fan base... incredible. It's like she can't win. If she "updates" her sound, she'll be accused of trying to be like young folks (a la Musiq Soulchild) and if she doesn't, we get this ... which I like btw. If she jacks the melody to 5 different songs from the 90s like ya boy Mars, then she'll be accused of being stuck in the past. The problem here isn't Tamia or the song.

I don't know if I've ever seen a group of older people more insecure about what younger people think of them than OKP. Maybe some of yall are hitting a midlife crisis and maybe it's just this generation in general. Younger folks used to want to impress the older folks who came before them. Remember when Boyz II Men came out? Hell, when Tamia came out. It was an honor for someone like Aretha Franklin or Smokey Robinson to say "I like this kid." Now it seems like it's the opposite for too many older people... not just entertainers, but regular older people. And I won't even get into how it's by design that the wisest among us NOT determine our direction.

To be continued...