Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectwell too bad for those founders.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13170417&mesg_id=13170696
13170696, well too bad for those founders.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jul-03-17 10:40 AM
b/c the words they wrote have been interpreted by SCOTUS to include all of us.

so while i know who those ppl were to me it doesn't mean much. b/c NOW we have the ability press the government into putting those words into action. and of course, we've done that but we're not done.

the Constitution contemplates creating a 'more perfect union'. that right there says to me that the work of perfecting this joint will be ongoing. there will probably never be a day when we can roll the credits on the union's perfection. we'll always be out there forcing them to get it right. the Constitution and court interpretations of it are the tools.

but all of that aside - there's no reason to shit on Independence Day, really. most of us don't spend any part of the day in reverence for the nation or its history or any of that jazz. for most of us it's a day off from work and a cookout/picnic w/barbecue and (likely illegal) fireworks. there's no reason to get all college sophomore about the shit.