Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: I think what you're following is the weird anti everything not STEM trend
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13139703&mesg_id=13140018
13140018, RE: I think what you're following is the weird anti everything not STEM trend
Posted by denny, Thu Mar-30-17 03:56 PM
Almost every one of those abstracts contains the foundational belief that quantitative analysis should be de-emphasized in favor of qualitative analysis (in the form of autoethnography which is essentially a diary entry). Is this an intellectual belief or an anti-intellectual belief?

The list is compiled to show the underlying foundation of their methodologies. It self-proclaims to be anti-science, anti-statistics and pro-storytelling. It's not that sociology and feminism are not worthwhile pursuits....it's that conflict theory has taken them over and they've become inherently anti-intellectual and dogmatic. I've taken a sociology 101 course (20 years ago). Conflict theory was one of three approaches used (conflict theory, symbolic interactionism and classicalism). Classical modes of sociology use quantitative analysis to prove their claims. That's not what's happening now.
They've all gone anti-science.