Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGreat post.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12894141&mesg_id=12895339
12895339, Great post.
Posted by denny, Sun Sep-13-15 06:19 PM
I experience this as a class phenomenon (being white).....but can see how it intersects with race. I look through my facebook feed and sometimes I get into a 'woe is me' state. All these people that I know enough about....hustling less than me. How are they living in these houses? How are they getting these jobs? How are they taking these vacations?

There are nuances to mortgages, education, savings accounts, etc that are so simple....yet if there's not someone there to point them out to you....you're fucked. The simplest thing turns into a HUGE thing in the aggregate. I weep at the wasted opportunities I missed. Noone showed me how to manage my pension. Noone showed me how to take advantage of all the stock options/benefits packages. Noone advised me to buy a house before the market grew outta reach. I've probably thrown away tens of thousands of dollars. In terms of house ownership.....probably hundreds of thousands of dollars. I was so focused on the 'value of hard work'. I didn't realize I was 'working stupid'. Now I'm nearly 40 and catching on.....but that was 20 years of misguided decisions and missed opportunities.

The connections. And this is all nepotism. And nepotism is the reason we need employment equity policies. People think employment equity and diversity quotas are to counter racism in employers. That may be the case sometimes....but the much bigger factor that employment equity targets is nepotism. Nepotism is not necessarily a racist practise....but it has the same result. It will keep the same type of people, in terms of heritage, in the same privileged jobs until the end of time if there is not government interference.