Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBet...well...I found this woodworkerssource.com that appears
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12856497&mesg_id=12856554
12856554, Bet...well...I found this woodworkerssource.com that appears
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Jul-17-15 12:01 PM
to have the product that would work for me. It's BB grade, which should be sufficient for the look i'm going for. Here's a link to the product i'm looking at: http://www.woodworkerssource.com/34balpack3.html

>>Budget is a reasonable goal for me. I know good quality
>3/4"
>>plywood is at least going to run me $40/sheet. And i'm
>>estimating needed at least 6 sheets.

>Furniture grade plywood is actually going to go a bit higher.
>You could for the so so stuff but then you are dealing with a
>higher void count and a rougher surface which would mean more
>work on your part (lots of sanding) to get a good surface.

They're calling it furniture grade, but the face is not "finish grade". Not too big of a deal since I'm going for a semi-rustic look anyway. What's your take on their offering based on the description they've included?

>Where are you located? If you are in an area that had a
>Macbeaths then I would look there over going to a Home Depot.
>Construction grade ply is a bit different from furniture grade
>stuff. You can mix and match the stuff depending on the use.
>Good stuff for touch surfaces and the lower quality stuff for
>hidden areas

I'm in the DMV, Arlington,VA to be specific. Def. not going to home depot! I got a sheet of mahogany faced ply for a woodworking class I took a few years ago from this spot down in Springfield.....i'll likely check them out again too...but it was $99 for standard sheet...which was kinda pricey IMO.

Did you see the link of the piece i'm trying to replicate? It's a pretty basic form from my estimate.
>

>Do you have any photoshop/illustrator skills? What about
>Google sketch? I ask because cnc places tend to have a
>preferred file format for producing cuts

AutoCAD. I think most of them should take .cad files right? But I just don't know how to actually find a place :(. The place I took the woodworking class doesn't have one.

>Is this going to be built in or do you want to be able to
>break it down and reassemble as needed?

Ideally, it'll be similar to your basic flat-pack style furniture...ala Ikea... So i'd like to be able to break it down if necessary. I just don't know the name of those types of fasteners that are used in that kind of furniture. I'm having a hard time googling stuff because I don't know all the technical terms.

"Get ready..for your blessing..."