Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCan we talk about the use of the word 'nigger' here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12427316&mesg_id=12428495
12428495, Can we talk about the use of the word 'nigger' here
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Apr-28-14 02:04 PM
To tie it in to the og post, Denzel kinds of slips it in, while JEJ punctuates it.

But really I want to talk about its use, from a father to a son in a historical context, and the importance of that. It's a wake up call. Like I am talking to you and this is serious. The word commands your full attention to what I'm saying, and I'm calling you a nigger not necessarily because I think you are one, but because if you don't get the broader message I'm trying to convey here, all you'll ever be treated as is a nigger.

I think it's an important use, in this context, and ultimately feel that is why the word is still important today. Because as current events clearly show the perception still exists and if we don't understand the weight our actions nad perceptions have on us in the outward world it can negatively affect all of us.

I lvoe the word in all its complexities (even as a description of ones own being and actions) and I think this use here helps to highlight a historical importance in-culture.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."