Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectYou guys are being nice. This is, at present, a disaster.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=86106&mesg_id=86184
86184, You guys are being nice. This is, at present, a disaster.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Sep-28-14 01:42 AM
Half campy histrionics and scenery chewing, half serious-minded drama (despite the cheesy dialogue beginning for a different tone). All atonal, all head-scratchingly mashed together.

And few things more embarrassing than "oh look, THAT GUY HAS AN UMBRELLA I BET HES THE PENGUIN LETS CALL HIM PENGUIN OUT LOUD! oh look, THERES A GIRL WITH PLANTS THATS POISON IVY!" The corniest shit imaginable. Which would be fine, if they show embraced how unflinchingly corny/campy the premise is, instead of trying to mix two worlds (gritty dark drama, goofy campy self-referential hamfest) that have no business mixing.

It would be 1000000000x better if they went full camp, unleashed their actors, and actually decided to make it fun, with all the scenery chewing one can throw on screen and all the references to the DC Muppet Babies they want to cram in each episode. Ditch trying to make this show serious. It will never ever ever work. Unless they ditch the corny intros of other characters, they ditch the dialogue, they ditch the over-the-top acting, and they ditch the general premise. Then it could work as serious television.

I was twisting in my seat watching this. I won't torment myself anymore, so someone inbox me if the show decides what it wants to be, because I'd love to watch a good comic book TV show. This is just... a hundred miles from good.