Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectYou even need to ask?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=81615&mesg_id=82034
82034, You even need to ask?
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jun-15-15 11:42 AM
First of all, I'll say I don't have an issue with them "killing" Jon. That had to happen. They'd been building to it all season, and it's obviously a very important part of the book. And I don't care what Benioff, Weiss, and Harrington are all saying NOW, he's not permanently "dead." If nothing else, if he is dead forever then it's shitty storytelling. The whole point of the Hardhome ep is that all the jockeying for the Iron Throne means nothing, and the real important stuff is the White Walkers. If Jon is now dead, why would any of the viewers have a reason to care about the White Walker storyline? Who is going to carry it on? I like Davos, but no. Tormund is barely a character in the show. Melisandre? Please. I guess they could have Brienne bring Sansa and Theon to the Wall and have all of them deal with it, but I doubt it. It looks like they're more likely to seek out Bran and Rickon. Yeah, Jon's coming back. With his Direwolf.

Okay, the bad:

1. It bears repeating, but the Dorne storyline continued to be the most useless shit ever. And the "twist" was also stupid from a story perspective. So the Lannisters are just going to let Tristan serve on the council after the Alleria kills Mycella? They're not going to turn around and declare war on Dorne? Even before that point, every single beat of that story sucked. And then they made it worse.

2. The fucked off Briene's character. No way would she forsake her vows to Catelin to protect her daughters to go and enact her personal revenge on Stannis (though I'm not even sure Stannis is dead). But anyway, Brienne was given so little to do this season. And what she did do is completely out of character.

3. Okay, so Tyrion's new arc is him and Grey Worm and Missendei ruling Mereen. Um, why do we care about the city of Mereen now? Only reason it was even moderately important before is because Dany was there to keep the peace before she went back to conquer Westeros. What is there to care about now? Redeem Tyrion as ruler of a city? Kill time before Jorah and Daario come across Dany and the Dothraki? Um, yeah, don't care.

4. I'm sorry, it fucks up the dynamic of the Theon story if you replace Jeyne with Sansa. With Jeyne, it can be about Theon getting his metaphorical balls back. With Sansa... having a character that the viewers have come to care about raped so that Theon can become a "man" again just screws up the entire focus. Having Sansa lead the North to rebel against the Boltons would serve that story better.

The okay:

1. Sam heading to Oldtown was good. I can understand why they waited so long to do it to.

2. "Daggers in the Dark" worked very well as a scene.

3. Cersei's walk of shame was appropriately paiful. Excellent acting by Headey from the neck up; she was reportedly extremely pregnant when they finally got around to shooting that scene, so they digitally put her head on someone else's body. The introduction of Robert Strong worked too.

4. The Arya stuff had been a slog for most of the season, but the pay-off worked well.

That's all I got for now.