Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectThat battle was everything! And here's why!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=81615&mesg_id=81929
81929, That battle was everything! And here's why!
Posted by SammyJankis, Wed Jun-11-14 10:20 AM
Some of the podcast's I've been listening too some criticism from book readers have been negative and calling this past episode disappointing, mainly because they don't care about these characters or the storyline of the wall. That has irked me so much because I feel they missed the point of this battle.

As a book reader I LOVED this episode. That battle was everything! I think they nailed the page to screen experience in portraying this battle and I'm excited there's a little more to come.

I think the not caring about these characters or what happens at the wall actually made this episode great to me. I think about it in this way, in the context of the show, no one at Kings Landing cared about the wall and these characters (except Tyrion) The leaders at the wall sent out numerous reports and requests for help and they all were ignored (with one forthcoming exception). The point has been made very well that the Watchers on the Wall we're on their own in their own battle and those characters know they are on their own. They believe that no help will be coming from the realm they are sworn to protect. The only other characters and army that cared about them are dead (Starks of Winterfell) but yet they keep their watch, they hold to their duty, they fight a seemingly unwinnable battle and emerge beaten but not broken. These characters are protecting and fighting for the other characters that the dissenters care so much more about. Without what happens on the wall the rest of the realm is lost. "The stakes is high, you know the stakes is high." © De La Soul.

So with that knowledge every conversation, every speech, every loss that happened during this battle hit home with me. From Sam's awkward banter with Jon and the talk with Maester Aemon to the subsequent reunion with Gilly. Ser Allser almost apologizing and admitting he was wrong. Sidebar, that fight between Alliser and Tormund was awesome. Alliser has always been portrayed as a asshole on this show and in correlation to how Tormund was portrayed when he was introduced was kind of a likable jovial brute. Our minds are wired to root for someone during this fight and even though Alliser was a ass and Tormund was likable I was rooting for Ser Alliser hard because Alliser is the good guy in this fight against this brute that has been killing innocent people and a threat to the realm. My favorite beat in this episode was with Grenn and the other brothers in the tunnel about to fight the giant. They were scared almost ran away but kept to their duty to the realm. When Grenn led the charge and had them recite their oath I almost broke out in tears, getting misty just thinking about that scene.

A couple of other points of note, Jon taking lead was awesome and all the hand to hand combat was visceral. The reunion and death of Yigrette was great, Sam was pretty effective this episode and he had a great charcter moment. Freaking Giants riding Mammoths! Bitch ass Janos Slynt being sent away!

Like I said this episode was everything! I was on the edge of my seat every minute of it.