Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectSo I'm in this weird limbo...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=81615&mesg_id=81798
81798, So I'm in this weird limbo...
Posted by wallysmith, Mon May-12-14 09:33 AM
where I'm in the midst of reading Book 5 (around 350 pages in) but I'm seeing some of those storylines come to play on the screen. For example, I already finished the chapter where Reek convinced the motley crew of Ironborn to give up Moat Cailin but I haven't reached the point where Yara (Asha) attempted to free Theon (not even sure that happens in the book, but please don't tell me either).

It's becoming increasingly clear though just how far Benioff and Weiss have this thing mapped out for multiple seasons to come. They shotgunned arcs involving Reek and Arstan Whitebeard and Bran (among others), presumably to fit in future side arcs like Myrcella in Dorne, Yara (Asha) and the Kingsmoot, etc... while also giving scenes like Tyrion's trial the proper weight they deserve. With Reek in particular, I know some readers have lamented the fact that HBO gave so much time to his torture scenes last season (in lieu of other scenes) when those weren't detailed in the books.

Now, while I've tended to stay away from the book threads because I'm lagging on DoD, I have been aware that a number of book readers (not necessarily here, but in general) have been unhappy with these departures from the books. Considering just how stunning Tyrion's trial played out last night, would it be fair to give the showrunners a reprieve because it's becoming readily apparent they do have the long run in mind? Like half the episode was dedicated to his trial (and obviously a large chunk of next week) but I can't imagine cutting any of those scenes short either.

I'm aware I may be overstating the actual outcry from book readers, but considering I'm entering the discussion late, I'm curious to see what yall think.