Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectSo we tried to rewrite the show according to our "logic." Got it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=76715&mesg_id=76739
76739, So we tried to rewrite the show according to our "logic." Got it.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Jul-13-13 12:43 AM
Yeah, nah, I ain't buyin' it.

Kohan clearly wasn't interested in telling the story of someone who has to pay the price for her many crimes and transgressions, and "YES," the story did have a strong female empowerment angle.

Not sure why that wasn't expected, and/or so problematic, coming from a show created by a woman. It should also be noted that the black female drug dealer on the show (Heylia) didn't suffer for her years of crime, either. Matter of fact, Heylia ended up doing fairly well for herself. Are we gonna be mad about that, too, or "that's different?"

No one had a problem with anything being "relatable" when it came to the many escapes from death that Vic Mackey had. Tony Soprano either. And those examples aren't as "that's different" as you might want to believe.

Nothing in those first three seasons suggested a terrible end for Nancy Botwin, even though she faced multiple situations where she or someone in the family could have been killed, or she could have been caught and faced time. And I guess we all have selective amnesia, because there CERTAINLY were situations where her "cute ass" got bailed out or flat-out lucky during that time.

And make no mistake, Nancy's white privilege is a HUGE component of the story that Jenji told. Not to mention the fact that she's a woman and repeatedly uses that to her advantage. Jenji never shied away from that shit. The problem apparently is that, like Shawn Ryan and his killer white cop, and David Chase and his killer white mobster, she refused to pass the ultimate judgment onto these characters.

Look, the show wasn't perfect and didn't always stick its landings, but it certainly held my interest over its 8 seasons, and not because I wanted to see Nancy get what was allegedly coming to her.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP