Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectI thought I was alone here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=73288&mesg_id=73391
73391, I thought I was alone here.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Dec-18-12 07:44 PM
>Maria's story was the only one with teeth and the only one
>that coulda had an impact on the whole series.

That was the only story--and that includes the main story--that I remotely gave a shit about.

I guess that's because I liked Doakes and felt that he was the only interesting character in the supporting cast and I always felt he got done dirty. I've never rooted for Dexter as a character since that, and I really wanted Maria to get justice for Doakes.

I was actually surprised when I looked at Twitter and other forums and saw everybody like "Yes, Dexter! Kill her quickly!" I mean, Laguerta is an annoying and mostly useless character... but in the scheme of things, she's not a "bad guy" and she was just doing what a good cop is supposed to do.

That's one of the ways that Dexter bugs me on a moral level... I know that it's just a goofy, cheesy genre pulp, but I find the show very immoral in a disturbing way.

It's not that I have a problem supporting a show where the "hero" is a serial killer... but if the show would just be honest and give us a totally subversive, nihilistic show that doesn't apologize for the killer in anyway way, I could dig that.

But instead the show always tries to rationalize it to make Dex the "good guy"... They took steps away from that this season with him abandoning the Dark Passenger concept and even the Code, but in the end it's still the same: It's Deb who has to kill Laguerta in order to keep Dex "innocent," just like in Season 2 when Lila rescued Dex from the tough decision of whether or not to kill Doakes.

I wish the show would have the balls to just admit and accept that Dexter IS a "bad guy" instead of pretending.