Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectI think it's just familiar for the most part.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=71844&mesg_id=71893
71893, I think it's just familiar for the most part.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Oct-18-12 08:37 AM
Like, I've seen scary nun movies. I've seen asylum movies. I've seen German torture doctor movies. (Marathon Man for the win.) I've seen movies where the villain is very similar to Bloody Face. etc.

Just because there's new actors and hyperactive editing doesn't mean it's scary. It's stylish, absolutely, and some of the actors are going for it. But it seems more committed to being fucked up than to developing characters I care about-- pretty much all of them are sociopathic, and the two characters that aren't are already captured for torture, so we only get the barebones of who they are before it's Torture Time.

I'm not trying to hate on it, as it's earnest and it *looks* great and it's fast-paced, so it won't ever be boring. It just seems more campy than scary at the moment. The opening scene is unquestionably campy, not to mention most of the Jessica Lange/other nun stuff. Maybe the writing will get more straight-faced and character driven as it progresses... but I'm fine with it being just straight wacky.