Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectAn EP/writers has a long standing beef with Smith
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=58421&mesg_id=58781
58781, An EP/writers has a long standing beef with Smith
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon Nov-17-08 10:02 PM
Rob Weiss, a writer on Entourage, has had issues with Kevin Smith since (reportedly) Mallrats. Smith explained in an interview two years ago (after an earlier Smith diss)
---

"There's a dude who's on staff who made this movie called Amongst Friends back in 1993 I believe and he worked with a friend of mine named John Pierson, who wrote Spike, Mike, Slackers and Dykes. In the book, I do these kinds of pre-chapter chapters where John and I have a conversation that's kind of relevant to the chapter that follows. John was one of the producers on Amongst Friends, and his chapter about Rob Weiss was called "Amongst Jerks," so John has a very distinctive take on Rob Weiss..."

"I had worked with Shannon Doherty on Mallrats - this is a very long story and I'm trying to connect the dots - was dating Rob Weiss through most of the early 90's… He was the kind of guy that would call up and be like, 'I'm going clubbing…' Shannon's no wilting flower or anything like that, but when it came to Rob, she was real passive. She would have to get off because we were doing a take and he would get mad that she was getting off the phone and he's like, 'Well, f*** it then, I'm going clubbing and I'm going to pick up a girl' and she'd be all f***ing frazzled and start crying and it would hold up shooting… I was like, 'What a horrible thing to do to somebody and this dude's a director. He ought to know better…"

"So in that chapter, Pierson talks about that movie and what a bad experience he had with him… So I talk about in the book. This book came out in 1995. Eleven years later? You know? (Laughs) Dude's still smarting from it… I didn't remember what I'd said… I'd heard over the years, 'That dude hates you,' and I'm like, 'It's Pierson's book!' Then after I watched Season Two of Entourage…I grabbed Pierson's book and I was like, 'What did I f***ing say?!?' Then I was like, 'Oh, this is pretty bad.' (Laughs) I guess, after ten years, the dude who hasn't done anything in twelve years finally got a job writing on Entourage and found an opportunity to take a shot. I get it, it doesn't hurt me, but I understand I kind of had it coming."
---
After last night, Smith blogged:

"I know some folks just wanna get my back, but honestly - I'm fine. We're talking about a show set in a Hollywood so fictional that Ed Burns is a successful television producer (surprisingly, in the real world, Burns' brother is a writer on "Entourage"). We all know where the jabs are coming from (Vanilla Weiss) as well as why they're being made: because Rob's still working out some issues he didn't cover in therapy...

Regardless, "Entourage" is still a guilty pleasure for me (even with the shots taken). And, like I wrote above - it's a fair jab: I've been to Sprinkles many times (just had no clue Weiss was stalking me during those runs)"

I have to say, I kind of wanted to side with Smith on this one but then he throws in a jab about Ed Burns for no real reason. I guess its just two opinionated Hollywood types making noise.