Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives (TV)
Topic subjectI think the scene illustrated Vince and Ari's fundamental disconnect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=30&topic_id=58421&mesg_id=58616
58616, I think the scene illustrated Vince and Ari's fundamental disconnect
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Mon Oct-20-08 08:18 AM
>He enjoys the fact that they are going against the slime
>together, and that everything always works out.. and Ari
>getting this position is kind of like... "well.. we don't have
>to struggle for anything anymore.. what happened to our dream
>of overcoming these guys together?"... This is what I think
>the sentiment Vince was trying to get across is... It may also
>be that Ari is going to become a really big suit and not be
>part of the family anymore...
>
>@}-,-`-
>
>boo'gock! (c)lazyboi

I don't think it was really about overcoming the slime together.... their mutual goal was to put Vince back on top... but they've got different definitions of success.

Remember when Vince asked Ari if he thought Vince was a good actor? Well Ari kind of evaded but promised he could make him a star again... but Vince promised he'd prove he was a good actor too.

Ari's always been about the money while Vince has always been more concerned about the craft (though he enjoys the cash as well).

Ari being a boss could guarantee Vince's income for life (which is the ultimate success by Ari's standard) but it dilutes the challenge of him proving his acting chops.

Plus you've gotta figure that Ari is only going to be MORE motivated to put Vince into the lucrative commercial movies now that he's going to be bankrolling the movies themselves.

Just think of the symbolism of the scene as well. Vince is boarding a plane to pursue his passion for that model... while Ari is boarding his plane to be a part of a billion dollar purchase and too possibly see even greater riches for himself.