Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectHow is everybody doing their sequencing???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=39815
39815, How is everybody doing their sequencing???
Posted by LobbyFunkster, Fri Oct-17-08 10:01 AM
What's up folks,

I currently sequence and record audio in Cubase SX 3. I mainly do R+B\Soul and rarely sample. I play all my parts myself on my Yamaha Motif ES6. For my drum tracks, I am using Native Instruments Battery 3. I was recently in Guitar Center playing around with the MPC. I never had a need for it, since I was using battery, didn't really sample too much and used Cubase as my sequencer. However, after playing some patterns on the pads live, I feel I could really beef up my drum tracks with the MPC. The keys on a keyboard don't give me the same responsive feel as the pads on the MPC.

Anyway, my question is are you all using the MPC as your main sequencer? I know some people do that and use ProTools/Cubase just for audio. I kinda wanted to still use Cubase as my sequencer instead of hunkering over a little tiny screen on the MPC to sequence stuff. Why bother using the MPC as a sequencer if ProTools and Cubase have a better one? Let me know your thoughts.
39818, I do all of mine on the MP
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri Oct-17-08 02:36 PM
That is, if I make the track on it. Any software program, I drag the main loop into PT and sequence from there.
39831, RE: How is everybody doing their sequencing???
Posted by BrownWonda, Fri Oct-17-08 05:00 PM
do everything in fl studio
dont hate on me for that, i went from the demo, to reason, to an mv-8800, and then finally bought fl studio
love it and have never looked back

and about the mpc,
the mpc isnt what really beefs up your drums, everyone who uses one usually records it into pt or some daw and eqs it there
the mpc will color the sound a bit, but it wont beef them up
experiment with eq and light distortion to beef them up
39849, why would somebody hate you for using FL?
Posted by Kkon El, Sat Oct-18-08 08:27 AM
>do everything in fl studio
>dont hate on me for that, i went from the demo, to reason, to
>an mv-8800, and then finally bought fl studio
>love it and have never looked back

yeah I really like the sequencer in FL
its really user friendly
and once you have your instruments on different tracks you can easily arrange them and record them out

>and about the mpc,
>the mpc isnt what really beefs up your drums, everyone who
>uses one usually records it into pt or some daw and eqs it
>there
>the mpc will color the sound a bit, but it wont beef them up
>experiment with eq and light distortion to beef them up

thats not true all
the MPCs MAIN outs dont do much to make your drums hit
and the MIDI outs do even less
but the STEREO outs are what retians the MPCs oomph for the drums
the stereo outs are hotter than the main/MIDI outs
and they provide a mirror for how your drums cone out of the MPC
and since I use a 3ooo LE I dont have much in the way of effects/EQ
but there are more ways to EQ besides having a dedicated one in a workstation/DAW
39867, you just need a midi controller
Posted by nicknice, Sun Oct-19-08 01:23 PM
with a drum pad, like an m audio trigger finger. much cheaper and you can use it in cubase. google...