Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectDo guys like Dilla, Waajeed, etc. get drums from drummers or just breaks?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=38100
38100, Do guys like Dilla, Waajeed, etc. get drums from drummers or just breaks?
Posted by dmarz45, Thu Jul-17-08 06:08 PM
Alot of Dilla and Waajeed beats sound like they use live drums as opposed to just chopping breaks. Is this true? Does anybody know where I can get some dope original soul type breaks. I would love to get my hands on some that would be amazing!!
38108, get in the crates.
Posted by Ascension, Thu Jul-17-08 08:43 PM
plain and simple.
38110, yup
Posted by TIMP, Thu Jul-17-08 08:53 PM
you just gotta dig man
38111, i hear you on that
Posted by dmarz45, Thu Jul-17-08 10:36 PM
I hear you on that but I dont have that much money to be spending on records every week. And most the stuff I find in the cheap bins doesnt have too many good breaks on them. I mean I found some really great break compilations online and they do they trick. I was just thinking that they also have drummers who give them some sounds (which i guarantee that they do)

http://www.myspace.com/djmarz45

check out some of my tracks!!!!
38113, i wouldn't doubt that they had some drummers give them some sounds....
Posted by TIMP, Thu Jul-17-08 10:42 PM
but 99% of the time its records

with some stock drum machine sounds behind them to beef them up (think 808's)
38112, RE: yup
Posted by dmarz45, Thu Jul-17-08 10:41 PM
BTW, Timp you got some nice tracks homie. Do you chop up a whole break and use all the sounds from the original break when you make a track or do u just use have sounds that you chopped from breaks in a kit and just pick the sounds that fit right with the beat? "Wanna Do" definitely sounds like a Waajeed\Dilla type track man its fuckin hot
38115, RE: yup
Posted by dmarz45, Fri Jul-18-08 03:13 AM
Those guys must spend so much money on records to find all those dope breaks and drum sounds man. I have a decent amount of records and I dotn have too many sounds that I got off of them. I guess its all about getting the right records tho.
38156, RE: yup
Posted by TIMP, Sun Jul-20-08 12:54 PM
>BTW, Timp you got some nice tracks homie. Do you chop up a
>whole break and use all the sounds from the original break
>when you make a track or do u just use have sounds that you
>chopped from breaks in a kit and just pick the sounds that fit
>right with the beat? "Wanna Do" definitely sounds like a
>Waajeed\Dilla type track man its fuckin hot

thanks.

its different everytime, i have no set formula to make a beat, but for drums i have a some kits on my computer and I just layer them underneath chopped drums that I get off records. or sometimes I just use what I sampled off a record.

and that wanna do joint is old. i didnt even know who dilla or waajeed were when I made that! haha. i think I made that in 2005 when I was 17.
38142, RE: Do guys like Dilla, Waajeed, etc. get drums from drummers or just breaks?
Posted by Conscious, Sat Jul-19-08 02:44 AM
Dilla played drums a lot.
38145, don't quote me, but...
Posted by Seven, Sat Jul-19-08 01:46 PM
i read in a remix mag i think about someone relaying a dilla story...something about him explaining to someone how he made a snare drum using a matchbox..or matchsitck or some shit....
38155, RE: don't quote me, but...
Posted by QBoogie, Sun Jul-20-08 12:48 PM
that would be a dope read if you can get the article fam ...
38157, in the new waxpoetics
Posted by TIMP, Sun Jul-20-08 12:56 PM
Jack Splash recalled this time when dilla and t3 were riding in his whip and dilla was telling t3 how he made a snare by flicking a raisin box
38166, dope...i need to renew my subscription to wax poetics
Posted by basslinewonder, Mon Jul-21-08 10:32 AM

mpc2000
Korg Triton
Technic 1200