Go back to previous topic
Forum nameMake The Music
Topic subjectRE: NEW producer on the board
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=26&topic_id=37422&mesg_id=38117
38117, RE: NEW producer on the board
Posted by Mr. Sirreal, Fri Jul-18-08 03:57 AM
Yo RightMined,

1st, Good 2c another producer from IN on the board. I truly appreciate the feedback.

2nd, My spelling and grammar are worth shit, so bare with the many reading pains ahead. I'm tired, so I give a fuck less.

3rd, U were general when u said my overall sound maybe too cluttered. I am not exactly sure what context u were applying, "cluttered" to. Did u mean that all of the sounds were overpowering each other? Or did u mean that the beat was overly complete 2 tha point that u could not forsee an MC being able 2 flow on top? Maybe u meant both? Anyway, I can agree with either and even both with certain tracks. I was actually anticipating that criticism. A track like "ohohriver" is a track that I think is cluttered period. The average rapper could not flow on a track like that. In the past, my style has also been misunderstood by people not just because I strive to be original and not follow trends, but because some of the tracks are meant to stay instrumentals. Meaning, no MC.

4th, Here is my honest opinion of your tracks. I kept in mind that in ur blog u said that the tracks were in their rough demo stage. In some cases I made some suggestions. Please take whatever I say at face value, its not like I think of myself as some high production authority and neither should u:

--The Goods-- The first time I heard this track I didn't like it. That melodic bassline u used (which sounded familiar btw) became annoying because I was anticipating it to change up the entire time and it never did. But the more I heard the track, the more it began to grow on me. I think that the intro is 2 long though. Its interesting how the drum change is suddle with that layered snare that showed up later in the track. I think u should keep that quality in the final beat. You only notice if ur really paying attention, it might not be apparent to the average listener. I am not sure if that was ur intention. I think that the beat could have used a bridge where the track would take a unexpected turn. Maybe add an additional instrument like an electric guitar, choir, horns, vocal sample etc. It became too formulaic and predicable by the end. I think that this track is good ground work for a cathcy track.

--Baybee-- Probably my favorite track. "Ohh baby," I dig that vocal sample. The track does sound like a big loop after awhile though. Find something in additional to the lined up snares 2 brake up the monotany. Perhaps find another part of the sample 2 chop. Or add some synths/piano. I know I hear an additonal melody in my head.

--Move-- For some reason I can hear Jean Grae over this track. I dig this one. I like that light, "lalalah lalalh lahd?" in the background, almost inaudible. It belongs there. See if u can drop the vocal sample and bring it back later. It sounds overused. Nice soulful track.

--Action Man-- I like the balance between the guitars and the strings. I really dig tha bridge when it comes in near the end.

--Tell Me Now-- This is a cool loop. But maybe figure out other ways to break up the monotony of the loop besides the vocal sample. Maybe change the drum pattern AGAIN. Don't think I ain't notice.

--ReUp--This track had some video game kind of sounds in it, which I'm hearing a lot more of now. I like how u use them for the bridge. The intro is 2 long and boring cut at least 10 seconds of it. Please consider switching up the percussion at the end since u have a drum solo goin on. Maybe bring back the hi hats with a different pattern or add some toms and crashes to bring the track to a better climax. If u don't want to do that I'd like to hear use of those video game synths stucatto style.

Overall I think that u have some solid tracks that I would like to hear the final versions of. Take care homie and keep makin' music.

PIECE,

Sirreal

I do not use drugs, I am drugs