Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectGran Torino went all out AND sugarcoated
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86536&mesg_id=86708
86708, Gran Torino went all out AND sugarcoated
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Mar-10-10 05:36 PM
that movie was so ridiculous. you get a character who's seemingly the most racist guy ever.. a guy who's not capable of having a conversation without saying gook/zipperhead/beaner/spook (y'know, in case we forget he's racist) this guy was on a youtube comment section level of hate rhetoric, but he somehow he manages to avoid the worst slur of all.

>I agree that Scorsese has characters that very well might use
>racial epithets.
>My problem is with the fact that these characters uniformly DO
>use racial epithets.
>And it is almost more upsetting to me that they do so only
>once or twice per movie,
>because if the excuse is that these characters would be
>racist/use racist words,
>why has he not had more characters that use a barrage of
>racial epithets?

I don't get this logic at all. most of Scorsese's characters aren't guys who spend their days thinking about how they hate black people, they're ignorant criminals who grew up in isolated environments. sometimes that ignorance surfaces in conversations. as long as it comes off natural i don't see a problem, but that's just me. in his earlier stuff it felt that way. in his most recent work he clearly forces it, causing people to look at him sideways.

even with tarantino i thought it worked fine in resevoir dogs, but in pulp fiction the whole dead ni***r storage scene came off as a ridiculous whiteboy fantasy (but QT's issues with race... and feet are pretty clear).