Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRacially insensitive to his use of the word? Maybe.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86536&mesg_id=86701
86701, Racially insensitive to his use of the word? Maybe.
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Mar-09-10 08:26 PM
But he ain't racist. He has characters that use a word that those characters would use. I mean, I think that's what your problem is here. If you had said "I don't like Marty's excessive use of the word 'nigger' in his films, and I think it's telling that he thinks it's okay to do so." Especially since he only wrote two of the movies you mentioned. Hell, even if you were like "Scorsese is ignorant" I'd be all "Yeah, man. Now that you mention it, I can see that." But he ain't racist. I wish cats weren't so damn quick to use that word about shit like this because it takes the power out of it when you use it to criticize someone who *is* being racist. Because then they can hide behind you calling wolf on it.

FYI Just in case you forgot....

rac·ism
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Unless you got a dictionary that has "3. Directing a film in which fictional characters use racial epithets."