Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectInglourious Basterds (spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=78308&mesg_id=78308
78308, Inglourious Basterds (spoilers)
Posted by avillago, Fri Aug-21-09 10:19 PM
Just a note... if y'all come in here reading details, there will be some plot points talked about. Just an FYI.

OG title: Inglourious Basterds...Quick Review

You can't win with a QT flick...His films tend to divide people. Case in point...this film's reaction from Cannes (mixed) versus the loud 5 minute plus applause this film received with the random audience I seen this with.

If you love a Tarantino film, your a QT fanboy and are jockin' him just because...If you hate his film, your just a QT hater who thinks he is a racist...blah, blah, blah. We heard and read it all...including these boards. I won't have that debate and I won't comment on QT the person or tell you if I like him or not...I just wanna speak on the film.

This not a thorough review, but just some quick thoughts I wanted to share about "Inglorious Basterds".

My first reaction after the screening was..."Inglorious Basterds" was very good...hours later, I thought...it may even be excellent, it may even be QT's best film since "Pulp Fiction". And that is where I am still at with this film...it is excellent.

This is a different type of film for QT in the fact that it feels like Tarantino's first art house film in approach and it feels very "old school-European" in style. I mean the smart QT dialog is there (even if it is mostly in subtitles), the handpicked/obscure/hip soundtrack is there, the chapter set up is there, the sudden bursts of violence and gore are there, as well as other several QT trademarks are present.

However, it feels like the lesser of the so-called typical Tarantino-styled films...first off, most of the dialog is subtitled with German, Italian, and several other languages. This aspect, as well as the long running time (2 1/2 hours) will make it difficult for the film to make a big box office splash. That is why the Weinsteins are promoting this film like a "Brad Pitt and squad on a revenge mission flick". This is not that at all. The "Basterds" and Brad Pitt are only a small part of this film and is only one plot element in a large weave of many that come together for the final climax, which is superb. A matter of fact, Brad Pitt's screen time will be considered short, which will most likely disappoint those seeking a Brad Pitt flick. Also, the foreign languages give the Tarantino-styled dialog a different kind of snap and rhythm. You know it's a Tarantino film by the words you read, but it feels fresh.

Also, this is definitely an assemble piece that spends equal time with each character and it feels like a gory and wacky version of "Altman" doing a WWII film. Also, this is not the balls-out action film that the trailer may hint at or a la "Kill Bill" and is more comparable to "Death Proof", only in that the dialog is a major character and provides most of the fireworks. However, in "Death Proof", I felt that it was a case of way too much, which turned to boredom, which turned to QT feeling himself a bit. This is not the case with "Inglorious Basterds"...the dialog is rich, refreshing, exciting, and a welcome return to QT's "Jackie Brown" days. Also, this is the best looking Tarantino film...it looks great and some of the shots by DP Robert Richardson are gorgeous to look at. Also, the editing is solid as well and the 2 1/2 hour running time zips by, which is rare for a dialog-driven film with subtitles.

Is this film a masterpiece? I don't know yet, it is probably the best film I seen this year as I also loved "Up", "Moon", "Hurt Locker", and "Thirst". But most importantly, it is Tarantino's best since "Kill Bill" or at least "Jackie Brown"...depending how you feel about either of those films. There are classic scenes in this film as well...the opening chapter may be the best section in any Tarantino film and the end climax may be the most entertaining section in any Tarantino film. It also features the best character actor in a QT flick (Christoph Waltz as "The Jew Hunter" Col. Hans Landa) since Sam Jackson went off as Jueles in "Pulp Fiction"...he is a bad-ass villian.

Just do yourselves a favor and leave any QT hate at the door and see this film with an open mind...you will be entertained and that is all that should matter for any flick these days with the crazy ticket prices...really, you may even love it...I did!