Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI liked it a lot
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=68412&mesg_id=68549
68549, I liked it a lot
Posted by sithlord, Sun Dec-20-09 08:13 PM
Took my niece to see it in 3D, but that one was totally packed. We had to wait 30 minutes for the next one.

The shit felt every bit like 3 hours, but I like the fact that a lot of that time was used establishing the rules of Pandora and the Navi.

Even though the story was pretty simple and arguably formulaic, the fact I gave a shit about the characters tells me the movie did its job.

The special effects were the best I've seen in years and they didn't take away from the story. However, when there weren't any humans in the scene, I kept thinking I was watching an animated film, which I pretty much was, but I haven't decided if that was a good or bad thing yet.

Zoe Saldana is even sexy as an alien.

You could easily use this film as some subversive, revolutionary subtext sort of thing, if you're into that sort of thing.

Despite the length, it moved quickly. I mean, you were into the action and the world in about 15-20 minutes, as opposed to 45 minutes to get there, so that was a plus.

Overall, it was a solid A grade film, but...

Dislikes:
Unobtainium? Really? I could have accepted it if Giovanni Ribisi said something like, "we call it, unobtainium" because the actual name was impossible to say.

Is it possible to humanize the bad guys at all? When Jake decided to side with the Navi and head marine dude (whose name I never caught) was all like "you just sold out your race," my immediate response was "huh?". That's the first I heard of it. It was implied and mentioned Earth was dying, but was it that serious. And it seems like if it was that serious, once the battle was over, Jake would have hooked them up with some unobtainium or something.

Not enough Michelle Rodriguez.

Also, during the big battle at the end and the "bomber" is destroyed. That motherfucker still blew up and destroyed a big ass chunk of their land.