Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: hustle & flow is a blaxploitation flick, nothing more
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=49236&mesg_id=49300
49300, RE: hustle & flow is a blaxploitation flick, nothing more
Posted by jahlove7, Sun May-07-06 01:41 AM
>in NO way, shape or form does the film imply that it's a
>reflection of the black experience...in fact, peolpe need to
>stop thinking that every movie that stars black folks is
>supposed to represent the race itself, or has any notions of
>doin such...motherfuckers don't watch MI3 or RV and think
>"well that's how white people live"

that's bullshit. the writer himself said he was trying to portray black life in its true form, so you're waaaay off base on this one. and while i don't expect every flick that has black people in it to represent the race, i don't expect every black flick to be a motion picture stereotype either. it could be me, but that' the way i roll.
>
>you reachin....it's about a dude wit a dream and how that
>dream affects him and the people around him...THAT'S NOT
>SUPPOSED TO BE DEEP....niggas goin to see H&F and expectin to
>see Roots are some non comprehensive folks...and what movies
>do ANYTHING to detract from the hollywood game??

don't even try to insult my intelligence with the roots line. that pretty much lets me know where your head is at. and what the fuck are you talking about? are you insinuating that EVERY flick ever made plays into the hollywood game? how many movies have you actually seen? obviously not many to come with that line...

every once
>and a while a few ar made, but the key is FEW...where do see
>"stepin' fetchit" ?? niggas grow up watching fuckin knight
>rider and act like they were watching amos n andy...go sit
>down....and i HOPE you're not sayin that films like Menace and
>Boyz are better cause they were made by black guys and
>therefore better represent "the experience"...if so...i'm
>sorry your brain works like that...and most hollywood is based
>on one strereotype or another, so you might wanna recognize
>game before pointin fingers

uh-oh, do i sense contradiction? figures...and where the fuck does the nightrider/amos-n-andy comparison come from? did you have tv when you were kid? and sense you're talking it there, both "menace and boyz" were more fully developed hood flicks. and the black writing played a large part in that. lol at you for defending some what cat who made caricatures out of black people. like i said, i know where you head is at on this one...and you're telling me i might wanna recognize game? ha!ha!ha!
>
>i hear you on this part, there should be more choices, but the
>studios don't think stuff like "eve's" will make money and
>only an good indie film will ever prove them wrong...

that too is bullshit. black flicks that go beyond the hood or the i'm-the-too-rich-negro joints don't get the love because the brass in hollywood don't feel that it relates to the reality of black life, nothing more. granted, we have a long way to go in cinema, but we've been down this road before with flicks in the tradition of "eve's bayou"...and they were all pretty damn successful at the box office.