Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectit wasn't FOR "black america"...it was for america...WE are america
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=49236&mesg_id=49262
49262, it wasn't FOR "black america"...it was for america...WE are america
Posted by Basaglia, Fri May-05-06 08:38 PM
>>these stories dont have to be telling the stories of the
>>MASSES, right?
>>just one person's story
>
>she never said anything to the contrary. the problem is that
>Hollywood continues to produce movies for and about black
>America that present a one dimensional, sometimes cartoonish
>view of who we are.

fuck outta here with that. that trailer ran in arthouses and malls across this damn country. i saw it with a rack of white people at a pre-screening.

and why are you soooo fuckin afraid of a country ass bamma nigga with a damn perm misrepresenting who you are to white folks? this is where me and nigga like you differ. i give white folks the benefit of the doubt to KNOW BETTER. you scared ignant ass niggas gonna make it tougher for good ones like us, who work every fuckin day and keep our shit in order? fuck all that. we're passed that stage. i rep myself.

isn't it odd that with all the
>inspirational stories that one could tell about a black man
>from the inner city, white people latched on to the one the
>one that has a black man being a misogynist and a
>criminal...again.

and this is why hankyheads like kaplan need to go see and write about movies like akeelah and the bee and let white folks know that movies like those are interesting to talk about as well.

>>all these movies
>>diary of a mad black woman
>>hustle & flow
>>whatever
>>they speak to someone
>
>sure they do, but that doesn't mean that she has to like them.
> just because a movie has black faces on the screen doesn't
>mean that they have to speak to all black people.

conversely, just because a movie has black faces on the screen doesn't mean it has to speak FOR all black people.